Author Topic: I've started building a gun...for MYSELF!  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
I've started building a gun...for MYSELF!
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »
Well, I do have a couple of other projects for other people going right now, but I have begun actually building a gun for ME.  Right now, I only have two of my own guns, and they were built years ago.  Haven't built anything new for myself since then...well, I did build myself a rifle a year or so ago, but was cajoled into selling it...

I got the barrel inlet today.  16ga.  And if I haven't said this before, I really HATE octagon to round barrels.  Round barrels are SOOO much harder for me to inlet.  A real pain.  It takes twice as long for me to inlet a round barrel over a normal octagon one.  But, I finally got it in.

I'm finally getting around to using a really nice figured cherry blank that I got from Dunlap at Friendship a couple (or maybe more) years ago.  I haven't really worked cherry before, other than to just fiddle with it some.  This is a pretty nice piece of wood.  For hardness, it is about like good quality walnut.  Definitely harder than most red maple, but not quite as hard as sugar maple.  It cuts very cleanly, and cuts easier than sugar maple, but with more resistance than walnut.  It feels very much like European walnut.  One thing that it does that is irritating is that you definitely do not want to even THINK about cutting into the grain.  It is very brittle cutting into or across the grain.  I do like it though, and it looks FANTASTIC.

The gun is going to be an attempt at something spectacular.  I'm going all out as best as I can.  My carving design is profuse and somewhat complicated.  The gun is going to be a "theoretical" gun.  An early Bucks/Lehigh gun based largely on the "Longrifle evolution" gun, along with what I believe is the "protus" of the familiar Bucks/Lehigh gun designs: the guns of the Freund family in Fuerstenau near Frankfurt-am-Main in Germany.  Nowhere else have I seen such clear design links between PA rifles and guns made in Germany.  Not just generic German styling, but VERY specific details that are common to both Bucks/Lehigh and the Frankfurt area guns (to the point of being essentially identical and unmistakeable).  Details which I have not yet seen on any other guns from anywhere else in Germany.

I'll try to keep up with my progress with photos, but it is hard for me to stop while building a gun to take pictures.

I have excited myself with this project.  I can't wait 'till it's done!   ;D

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:51:48 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: I've started building a gun...for MYSELF!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:19:59 AM »
Chris,
I remember the Cherry blanks Dunlap had that year.  Birddog bought a couple also.  If memory serves, it had a basket weave pattern in the curl.  I"m looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 
I bought a couple of pieces of wood for personal guns this year myself. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:50:22 AM »
Hey Chris
This Freund Family style of rifles... where can I see pics of them?? I am a great admirer of the Bucks County style and would like to see the ancestory of same. Oh yea, that's a nice looking piece of lumber! I hope you keep us all posted as it turns into a rifle.
Bruce

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:58:18 AM »
Interesting build idea. Keep us posted on your progress. I guess we can call you Stophel now. ;D

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
Fun to see your stuff. I think everyone would enjoy a progress report.

lew wetzel

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »
that is one nice chunk of wood,cant wait to see how it turns out.keep us posted with updates and pics...

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
Looks like a nice piece of wood. Working with cherry, to me , is the best. Its a very stable wood that allows good precision. I think those characteristics and others made it a favorite for pattern makers. I just wish it came with the hard stripes like maple. I'm working on my last piece of home grown cherry with a grain pattern similar to yours, i think its called "roping".
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln