American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:09:43 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Black Powder Shooting
| | |-+  Teflon Test
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teflon Test  (Read 2544 times)
Flinter

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »

Good shooting Roger. I have a few questions. Are the Teflon patches pre lubed, or are you spraying the Teflon onto a pre cut cotton patch? I tried some coated patches, and the patch was very stiff. When I put the ball on the patch to load the rifle, the ball would roll off the end of the barrel.

Mike

jmwilson
bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »

My rifles shoot well with cotton/linen patching. I'm cheap...teflon patching is expensive. End of story Grin
Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »

Good shooting Roger. I have a few questions. Are the Teflon patches pre lubed, or are you spraying the Teflon onto a pre cut cotton patch? I tried some coated patches, and the patch was very stiff. When I put the ball on the patch to load the rifle, the ball would roll off the end of the barrel.

Mike
I get it by the yard, some has more than enough teflon to the point that it is fairly well caked and it does take some agility to work the ball into the bore a bit and follow quickly with the short starter...I use it for 50 yds on out andf ound it does in fact shoot tighter groups than does my spit patch.So, the spit patch and ol tyme floral pillow ticking is for 25 yds etc.
Daryl
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »

Mike
I get it by the yard, some has more than enough teflon to the point that it is fairly well caked and it does take some agility to work the ball into the bore a bit and follow quickly with the short starter...I use it for 50 yds on out andf ound it does in fact shoot tighter groups than does my spit patch.So, the spit patch and ol tyme floral pillow ticking is for 25 yds etc.

Does this mean that "SOME" isn't that well caked with teflon?- does that mean it isn't consistant? Having to wipe the bore between shots would get me down, especially in the winter time.

It's bad enough handling a wet patch when loading, let alone having to wipe the bore with one or more as well. The fingers can get so cold they ache, especially when they thaw out.

Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 01:20:30 PM »

Mike

Does this mean that "SOME" isn't that well caked with teflon?- does that mean it isn't consistant? Having to wipe the bore between shots would get me down, especially in the winter time.

It's bad enough handling a wet patch when loading, let alone having to wipe the bore with one or more as well. The fingers can get so cold they ache, especially when they thaw out.

Well now, Ol Daryl isn't frozen quite yet and he does pay attention... Grin

The teflon I have had over the years some grey some green, has been usually quite evenly spritzed on the fabric although some folks (that peddle it) apply it heavier or thinner that others. I also have had some that was v unevenly applied.

Well, when it's a bit under freezing I don't care to have the spit patch freeze in the bore (been there) and screw up a w walk, since I can do that on my own... so then it's bear oil/grease in a ball board..... Cheesy
Daryl
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »

HA! - I see - how many shots do you go through on a Trail or Wood's walk? Our Sundays on the 'trail' run form 25 shos for some to over 80 for others, depending on when that person arrives. Taylor and I usually go through around 50 to 80 - he's going to try an oil this winter to see if that's easier on his poor circulation'd fingers.  I'll stick with the WWWfluid and oil - like the way it shoots so cleanly (about the same as spit, but doesn''t freeze - ever)

Sound have a good day Sunday. Looks like it might only be about -5 to -7,  that would be around 15 to 20F, I guess.
Harnic
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »

Sound have a good day Sunday. Looks like it might only be about -5 to -7,  that would be around 15 to 20F, I guess.

Down right balmy up there Daryl!  About the same temp & snow amounts as down south here!  Weird fall so far for sure!  I'm flying down to Vancouver Sunday for a family visit & to experience rain again!  Grin
 Back in 10 days.  Have fun!
Flinter

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »

Mike

Roger

I wonder how some of the spray on Teflon would work?
I have tried cutting my own patches, and this is quite time consuming.
If I do this much, I plan on making some kind of patch cutter.

Mike

jmwilson
Roger Fisher

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »

Mike

Roger

I wonder how some of the spray on Teflon would work?
I have tried cutting my own patches, and this is quite time consuming.
If I do this much, I plan on making some kind of patch cutter.

Mike
To your question,,, the teflon patching is sold and purchased by the yard and I have tried to punch the little round patching jiggers and that got old quick.  buy it in bulk, cut it in strips start the ball in to the muzzle cut the patch at the muzzle.
Works for me. And much less pain in the a   ! Smiley
Daryl
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »

I agree with Roger- if I was to buy this type of patching - highly unlikely as it is, it would be for the absolute most accurate shooting I could possibly do with that particular barrel.  Teflon patching requires wiping the bore - I must have an allergy to doing that  because I'm sure I could not wipe between shots and survive.   Anyway- back to why a strip, rather than precuts.

With a strip, the ball is always perfectly centred in the patch, as long as it is always perfectly introduced into the muzzle, pefectly straight, in line with the bore's axis. A little stud on the short starter or a muzzle-fitting guide starter is necessary for this to happen.  Pre-cuts are plenty accurate enough for trail walks, and hunting, but if loading for absolute accuracy, one must go the extra mile & cut on the muzzle.

Cloth weave orientation, mould lines in the ball, straight-line seating prior to cutting off the excess patch & method of seating the ball on the powder - all exactly the same - every single time - consistancy, though art a jewel.

Thus - if I was to buy the teflon patching it would be by the yard and I'd use it as a strip, cutting at the muzzle. imho
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length