Author Topic: What would y'all do with these knives?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
What would y'all do with these knives?
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
Bought these dirt cheap. I am thinking of customizing them into shorter knives, but only if they aren't worth anything as is. The top knife is rock solid and the bottom knife's handle is loose and half tang.

Psalms 144

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: What would y'all do with these knives?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
please send the G+R knife to me  ;D...(Im only kidding, but that said I would seriously love to add it to my collection)I think that it could be a Georgus Rex mark used by Rodgers and son during the reign of George the fourth...I believe that he technically only ruled England proper between 1820 and 1830 ?...thus predating the more commonly seen victorian era "VR" marks...if so, this looks to me like it could be a very early and rare butcher knife mark from the heyday of our western fur trade era...I would not do anything to that blade except keep it safely unless you consider selling or trading it to a collector where it could honestly be worth quite a bit....

the wilson with the Sheffield mark is valuable, but also pretty common...its a later mark (very late 1800s) and could be sheathed up for a later western plains rig...or again, traded or sold to a collector, but not for nearly as much as the "G+R" marked blade...

what ever you do, I personally would not grind, rehaft or alter either of those blades...there are tons of old generic unmarked carbon steel butchers you can alter, but marked blades like you have are getting pretty scarce...not to be overly dramatic, but if you need a few generic blades to grind, I have enough hoarded up to outfit half of the plains Indian nations on a buffalo hunt, and could send you a couple just so you dont grind those two until you research them a bit more....
TC
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:44:50 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
Agree 100%.  There are plenty of unmarked blades to modify.
Andover, Vermont

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:22 AM »
I have one like the lower one. Same I Wilson marks. I thought it is pretty generic. I too have a few unmarked butchers headed towards modification. I guess not that one. One also marked Old File but I think thats a very common one.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:41:30 AM »
Dang, glad I asked. Guess both of these will go into my "old tool" cabinet. Guess I'll have to scrounge some unmarked blades. I especially like the style of the bottom knife.
Psalms 144

steveA

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »
Good call guys on hanging on to those in their original condition. Glad you asked Clark B! A couple of flea market trips and you will find all you want to work on and more.
Steve