Author Topic: Stain adsorption on end grain  (Read 3897 times)

jlynn

Stain adsorption on end grain
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »
I need some advice please.  What is the best way to control stain adsorption  on the end grain areas around the edges of the lock panel.  In the past, I have lightly sealed the areas but the result is generally uneven as to stain color away from the area.  Would sealing and then heavy sanding the area work? The area is curley anyway.

Offline bgf

Re: Stain adsorption on end grain
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:36:04 AM »
Sanding the end grain a couple of grits or more past the rest helps some.  I also like to tint the finish, that seems to help level out minor differences.   A little difference on end grain  is OK in my opinion (not worth much) on most places, as it reads a little like a shadow line and gives the feature more definition, e.g. on the lock panels, but I know you want to minimize the differences, especially in some areas: On some stocks, the wrist can be a big problem, although long rifles tend to minimize the issues compared to modern stocks, with their pistol grips and usually uncapped fore ends,etc..

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »
I scrape and sand to 320, and burnish the wood with a piece of rope's end.  I don't see a stain absorption problem. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
Taylor's right on with burnishing.  I usually burnish tool handles (tomahawk, hammer, axe) I make with the drawknife, spokeshave and scrapers and have found that aggressive burnishing with antler almost completely blocks any stain penetration. Practically waterproofs the wood.  Obviously that's too aggressive for a gun stock but shows what burnishing can do.
Andover, Vermont

jlynn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »
Thank you gentlemen-burnishing worked very well

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
Best thing to do is to use Aqua Fortis to stain with, and forget the aniline dyes.  Then you don't have to worry about the end grain turning dark.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

twistedtree

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 05:48:12 AM »
Sand extra fine and use the prestain, a couple of coats.