Author Topic: A. Genella of Vicksburg, MS  (Read 4910 times)

Arnie Dowd

A. Genella of Vicksburg, MS
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:16:18 AM »
Gentlemen -  Do any of you have any info on a gunmaker by the name of
A. Genella of Vicksburg, Mississippi ??  Thank You
Arnie

Arnie Dowd

Re: A. Genella of Vicksburg, MS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
Further research today indicates that A. Genella was the owner and the maker of the rifle is either O'Dell of Natchez or Hoffman of Vicksburg. Thanks for your interest

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Arnie,

Sounds like you're chasing down another interesting firearm story.  I did a little digging through online references.  I found an Antonia Genella (b. abt. 1819 in Switzerland) living in Warren County, Vicksburg, MS in the federal census records for 1850, 1860 and 1870.  He was evidently a prominant merchant in the area.  In the 1860 census his real estate value was given at $40,000 and his personal estate was valued at $100,000.  In that year he gave his occupation as "China Merchant".  I found a reference to Antonia Genella on page 48 of a book entitled Twenty-Seventh Louisiana Volunteer Infantry by Terry G. Scriber (published by Pelican Publishing 2006) that stated, "Antonia Genella, a native of Switzerland, arrived (in Vicksburg) and opened a variety store that also dealt in pistols and long arms."  Antonia Genella died on June 12, 1871 in Vicksburg.  He was buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery next to his wife.  He was married to Louisa Harris Genella, born Nov. 11, 1825 in Petersburg City, VA, and died Aug. 31, 1865 in Vicksburg.  The one book referenced here was the only indicator I could come up with that associated this individual with firearm dealings.  No indicator that he ever made guns himself.  I'll see if I can dig up anything more. 

Mark   

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
Mark -  Thanks, my good friend, for all the info.  You have solved the mystery.
Actually, I too had found all of the census info on Antonio Genalla.  He actually married Louisa Harris on Oct 26, 1843 and following her death he married again
to a Mary E. Oriley (born in Georgia) on June 8, 1869.  The rifle in question seemed awfully plain for a man of his wealth and the barrel stamping was as if done by the maker or done for a dealer but it seemed a stretch bgetween a china merchant and a gun merchant but just as today a merchant will sell whatever the public will buy !  I am fairly certain this rifle is one of O'Dell's products and obviously the dealer's name was stamped on the barrel which would indicate there has to be a few more out there.  Jerry Noble in his first two volumes comes to this same very conclusion.  My next question is why is he listed in a book about the 27th Louisanna Infantry ?  Does the add'l personal info also come from this book - when he died and is buried, etc. as I had not found that ??  According to the CW Research Data Base there were only 4 men named Genella that served in the Confederacy - two in Mississippi (named: Natalie and Natalle which could be the same person listed in two different regiments) and two in Louisianna (named Charles and the other no first name is listed) Although Antonio had a son ? or a relative in the same household named Charles I do not believe he is the man in  Co. F of the LA Cresent Militia Infantry Regiment as it was formed in New Orleans and there is a 20 yr old Charles Genella living in New Orleans in 1860.Maybe we can visit by phone as we are getting off the "gun" subject.  I am quite curious about this LA book and why you looked in it for Antonio Genella ? but sure glad you did.  Thanks Again, Arnie

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
I have some info on the Genella brothers, but may be a few days before I can find it.  From the end of the war until his death, Antonio was listed as a dealer in China, Glassware, Queensware, etc. His brother Joseph was listed as Groceries, etc. Obviously the brothers were partners before or during the war as evidenced by a round, aqua, open-pontiled glass bottle embossed "J & A / Genella / Vicksburg, Miss." and a brown stoneware ginger beer type bottle debossed near the base "J & A Genella / Vicksburgh (sic). I will add more info when I dig it out.

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
Oakridge -  Thanks for the info.  I had assumed that Joseph was his brother as both are listed in the census as merchants and Joseph named one of his daughters
Louisa after Antonio's first wife.  I rec'd your message off-line and will respomd.
Thanks,  Arnie

JIM MED

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:48 AM »
I could not find any actual history of the the A. Genella long rifle.  Has anyone actually seen one of his rifles?

oakridge

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
I've seen the rifle referred to in this thread. It's a half-stock .50 cal. plains type rifle marked on top barrel flat "A. Genella  Vicksburg". I've found no evidence that he ever made guns. Genella was a successful merchant dealing in general merchandise, china, and glassware. After his retirement, he bought land East of Vicksburg, and became a farmer. I assume this was his personal rifle, or possibly he bought and marked some guns, and sold them through his store. This rifle looks to me like a product of Louis Hoffman's shop in Vicksburg. 

oakridge

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
JIM MED,

I see where Genella did, in fact, sell guns and pistols among the many items he carried. I'm more inclined to think this rifle was one he had made and sold through his business.

JIM MED

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Does anyone know if any of his riles have been sold and where??