Author Topic: John Stoudenour: Bedford Co. maker  (Read 16248 times)

g rummell

Re: John Stoudenour: Bedford Co. maker
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Hidden patchbox releases: An additional point. Sometimes the patchbox release is hidden under the "toeplate " and can be released with pressure in that area. I am not sure whether this is a trait of a particular school of makers??? but I have seen it on several guns.
Hurricane

I feel like I'm high jacking this thread but, hidden toe plate releases, butt plate releases, wooden patchbox catch springs I have mastered. However, the release under the sideplate of the patchbox I don't have a clue and the gun I'm trying to reproduce for a customer should have that type of release. I'm going to start a new thread in the gun building section so I don't screw up this thread on a fine Bedford rifle.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »
Larry I can't thank you enough for posting this.
For many of us access to original guns is really tough.
For the owner to give you this level of access is simply wonderful and he needs a big bundle of thank yous.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
The Stoudenour rifle has a new owner.  He is in the process of trying to find out exactly what he has.  At some point I believe he will be willing to sell it. 

I am trying to avoid being a middle man but will forward contact information  if contacted privately.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
Interesting.
So the new owner is so thrilled he's going to figure out just how much money he can get for the gun, and sell it?  :D

This one should help him determining value. Basically the same rifle, although not carved. Offered at $16.5K, no bids, not sold, so obviously too much in this economy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=204015091

So I'm thinking this carved gun should bring $16.5K or so, more or less.

John

( Editorial Note: The gun mentioned above on Gunbrkers is  a contempory reproduction)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:25:28 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »
John Robbins

greybeard

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »

This is how I do it. Pencil line is where the push pin lives under the side plate.
Cheers & Merry Christmas to each and every one of the members.  Bob

image hosting sites free
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:23:13 AM by greybeard »

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:01 AM »

The following link includes extra photos of the Stoudenour rifle.  The pics I included earlier here on ALR, were chosen to help identify the rifle.  It is now apparent that the photos will be used, in part, to assist in determining the rifle's condition.  With these additional photos, I tried to give as accurate a view as possible of the rifle.

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/bedford-co-john-stoudenour.php

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.