Author Topic: best novelty target  (Read 9824 times)

Offline yip

best novelty target
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:56:56 AM »
  after shootin the same ole novelty targets for some time now, i was wonderin if anybody has an idea of a extra ordinary novelty target, that i can put on our woodswalk? need some good idees.

roundball

Re: best novelty target
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »

after shootin the same ole novelty targets

Might be easier if you listed the novelty targets you're already using...

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:23:21 AM »
You might try one or two shooting stations with a time element like a rattlebox:  shooter takes position with a primed gun.  He drops a large ball bearing or musket ball into the top of  a tall box.  The box has internal baffles so he can hear the ball making its way downward.  Shooter has from when he releases the ball until it comes out the bottom of the box to get his shot off - somewhere around 5 or 6 seconds.   Shot this at Alafia River years ago - the actual target was a metal squirrel up in the top of a dead pine tree.

Lately, the few woodswalks I've shot have used hanging silhouettes with drag chains so nobody has to go downrange and reset them.   Gongs, animal silhouettes, hanging chain and chain draped between to trees.

Another target is our club's 'Flying Squirrel.'   It's a round gong on end of a 3 ft arm.   A rope/pulley is used to draw the arm up horizontal to the ground.   When shooter is ready, the rope is released allowing gong to swing on the end of the arm like a pendulum.   There's a wide board at the bottom of the arc that hides the gong, so the shooter can't see the gong but for its first 3 or 4 swings, so the shooter has about 10 seconds to get a shot at a moving target.

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Our favorite targets on informal shoots up here are ice chunks, pieces of gravel and clam shells.  Most folks don't have the latter laying around like we do, but it's pretty easy to come up with the other two.  For ice you could even put food coloring in your water, freeze it in ice cube trays with a little string loop in each cube for hanging.  We just walk the creeks and beaches, but there's little that can match the "explosion" of a chunk of ice or white gravel.  Poof.

westerner

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
My neighbor ladies cat.

Wes Turner.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »
How about a duel, two shooters face each  other with loaded guns and on signal turn and fire at clangers at some distance , first to hit wins and advances to next bracket.    Gary

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
Sure, what are you folks using now?  Plenty of suggestions out here... :)

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Briquets on a sting - the briquet must disappear - another is string-beans, green or white, hanging on a string - a gentle breeze makes this a difficult target for 15 to 20 yards.  There are a lot of targets in a bag of beans.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
Wood matches stuck in holes drilled in a board is a favorite here.
We also had a bull rush shoot , and our famous dandylion shoot . The yellow shows up well against the backstop at 100 yds.

westerner

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »
Briquets on a sting - the briquet must disappear - another is string-beans, green or white, hanging on a string - a gentle breeze makes this a difficult target for 15 to 20 yards.  There are a lot of targets in a bag of beans.

I should have said cats. The neighbor lady has about a dozen. 

Wes Turner

Offline yip

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
 those are some very interestin idees. too many cat lovers out there ta make the cat target doable. i like the flying squirrel though.we have a 4" pipe 90% with a long sweep that faces down, you fire through the pipe, the ball is suppose hit the back of the 90% and fall down to ring a bell the the bottom, but we're having snags. any thoughts?

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
we have a 4" pipe 90% with a long sweep that faces down, you fire through the pipe, the ball is suppose hit the back of the 90% and fall down to ring a bell the the bottom, but we're having snags. any thoughts?

We have a target we call the "Chimney Sweep".   Hit a 1" diameter hole and the bullet goes upward to tip a metal tophat sitting atop the 'Chimney.'    I think instead of the bullet hitting a 90 degree bend, we probably use a metal pipe that has a 90 degree curve bent in it.  If you're trying to ring a bell, maybe a 30 to 45 degree deflection plate to slow the bullet down some and 'slide' it into the bell.   Or, replace the bell with a flag attached to the plate so it waves visibly when the bullet traverses the pipe.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »
I had answered this question at length; but lost it due to timing with another responder.....so I notice the question was in singular that is one new idea for the best primative target.   Anyway not to digress; but an interesting one is====
get hold of a deer skull with antlers, attach it to a wood beam (think seesaw) attach skull's end of beam to a ground level log by means of a heavy/large gate hook.  Hide the deer head behind a wooden wall.  A hit on the hook releases said deer skull so it rises from behind the wall to stare at the rifleman.  Not complicated and different....That's my entry in this contest and I'm sticking to it ;D

Keep 'em simple and easy to score (hit or miss).  Keep 'em safe.  Keep those steel swingers well away from the shooting stations, keep the axle at the top so the ball hits and goes down....Soft earth or sand under the closer swingers. Heavy swingers too close to the shooter has caused many a ball or parts there of to 'come back'   Been there! ;D

Stay away from the light weight target hanging loose on a string.  Turbulence from the near miss shakes the light weight target (i.e. clothes pin on a string) and the shooter insists he hit it... Saves a lot of running down or up to check it for lead marks.... :)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:17:38 PM by Roger Fisher »

SPletcher

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
Stay away from the light weight target hanging loose on a string.  Turbulence from the near miss shakes the light weight target (i.e. clothes pin on a string) and the shooter insists he hit it... Saves a lot of running down or up to check it for lead marks.... :)

At our club this is not a problem...if it still is on the string it was a miss.  No running necessary!

leadslinger62

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 06:40:14 AM »
   I witnessed a come-backer at our Club Shoot. It is a Celtic Knot , around 20 yds. away,  that has been hit probably hundreds of time. A piece of the Ball bounced back and barely missed the shooter and smack the Guy next to us in the Face. Hit Him hard enough to draw Blood...

Offline whitebear

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 06:57:18 AM »
POSSOM IN A HOLE.  Several pieces of 2" pipe roughly 12" long, two poles one small maybe 1" and one large 2" to 2 1/2",  6' to 8' long a dozen eggs.  25 yards in front of the backstop lay the small pole parallel to the backstop, lay the larger pole 9" in front of the small pole.  lay the pipes perpendicular to the poles and the backstop.  Put an egg behind the pipes.  Object is to shoot down the pipe and break the egg without hitting the pipe.  Miss and you are out.  No measurements are meant to be exact these are just estimates.  To make it harder use longer pipes or smaller diameter pipes.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »

Our novelty targets, ie: the briquets- "Briquet must disappear" is on the number plate for that event. No problems with wiggles. Strings must be cut, cards must come down in 2 pieces - yadda yadda yadda. - same as SPletcher's club.

westerner

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
NLCs on a string? That would be wild!  Just kidding C lovers. Fun to think about though.   ;D :P

Wes Turner

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
We took a 4X4 and drilled holes to put golf tees into. Place the 4X4 on a stand with the tees facing the shooter and "try" to drive them into the wood. They're pretty small at 25 yards.
Mark
Mark

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
At a woods walk I shot the 'tater teeter totter. It was a horizontal 6 foot long piece of 1x4 with a nail through the center into a fence post. There were six pieces of string about 18" long with sheetrock screws on the ends tied to the 1x4, 3 either side. Each sheetrock screw was screwed into a potato. The potatoes not being uniform in weight, the teeter totter would drop to one side. (There was some kind of stop so it didn't go all the way to the ground)

The target was timed, so the shooter had a few (3? 4?) minutes to load and fire at the potatoes. You scored a point for each time the horizontal 1x4 tilted one way or the other, so you alternated sides.

Very satisfying when the potato goes splat and the bar tilts. I suppose you could use the fruit or vegetable of your choice.

Another interesting one I shot a few months back was the invisible X. The target was a big piece of plywood with numbered 3x5 cards on it. Each 3x5 card had an X in the center - but on the back. Each shooter called out the number of the card and tried to shoot where they estimated the center was. A friend of mine with a matchlock rifle pegged it and won a spackle bucket full of lead.

We also shot a running deer - a plywood cutout on a long clothesline cable. A guy way off to one side in a gully cranked a handle to make it go. Of course the joker didn't crank smoothly, so the deer jerked and jumped it's way across a clearing, behind some bushes, in the open, behind a tree...

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 02:23:25 AM »
We use a  Tuco  target on occasion  .From the movie Good the Bad and the Ugly .
You will need an old barbie doll or an old stuffed animal  .Make a hangman's noose .Suspend the figurine from the rope.
You play the Good and must shoot the string and save Tuco Juan Pacifico Rameriez etc etc from certain death.
You must not shoot Tuco. 

omark

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 03:58:45 AM »

I should have said cats. The neighbor lady has about a dozen. 

Wes Turner

still???