Author Topic: powder chamber on breech plugs  (Read 18338 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: powder chamber on breech plugs
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 03:28:15 AM »
That's a very cool looking gun, Robby.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 04:43:13 AM »
'A lot of filing' is the understatement of the month!

John
John Robbins

camerl2009

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »
Camerl, If you are putting together two smooth bored or rifled barrels without a forcing cone, you can use two hook breech plugs made from bolts, and a standing breech from angle iron. Oh, and a lot of filing.
Robby
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/robin101st/IM000523.jpg

nice i like the brass rib

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 05:20:58 AM »
I wonder if you made breech plugs from bolts if the threads(style of threads) would match up. I have been told that breeches were threaded with better or sharper threads and regular bolts are not made that precice. Might be something to check out if considering that route.   Gary

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
I wonder if you made breech plugs from bolts if the threads(style of threads) would match up. I have been told that breeches were threaded with better or sharper threads and regular bolts are not made that precice. Might be something to check out if considering that route.   Gary

Bolts have rolled threads which are much stronger than cut threads.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
Thanks Dan, but will they match up and seal OK or maybe it wont be enough difference to matter.    Gary

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »
Gary, Both barrels are .45, if that makes any difference, but I have a good fit, and zero leakage detected.
 A good plug to barrel fit is important on any gun. At least to me. If it is a major concern, two straight tang breech plugs can be used and filed accordingly. Thanks Taylor, I'm pretty excited about my next double' project!
Robby
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:28:30 PM by Robby »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
Thanks Dan, but will they match up and seal OK or maybe it wont be enough difference to matter.    Gary

A friend built a lot of guns using bolts for breech plugs. They are made to a specification. The taps used are made to the same spec.
There will be a certain amount of slop in any threaded joint. If that worried about thread fits. The standard fit is 75% IIRC, then make your own breech plugs so that the tolerance can be controlled. But the fit is not THAT critical if the bore is sealed.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Captchee

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
  It appears that im not the only one here that doesn’t get exactly what this fellas is talking about ?

So I guess I will add my  opinion to the  mix

I would agree with Cody about installing pre made breech plugs in a barrel set .
 With an acceptation. If those are to be English breech designs as Dan posted   or the ones
D ,Taylor Sapergia  posted a photo of
 then yes that would indeed be troublesome  unless one took the time to perfectly index  everything .
 but even then if you were off even a fraction . the breech would not seal  and in order to get it to seal you would have to modify the standing breech so as to allow for the  untrue hook .
 one also should be very carful with  breeching a  completed barrel set .  its very easy to break  the  barrels from the rib .
 but how to keep that from happening is another topic all together

I would also point out that bill Brockway goes through " making " the breech plugs  and fitting them to a barrel set .
A) these are not pre made plugs
B) they are basically the more common type of plug  ,where one plug fits inside the larger  plug . Again see D ,Taylor sapergia   photo.

BUT  im wondering if this fellas isn’t thinking of  some of the less common German designs where there is a bolt that comes up through  the plugs from the bottom .
 I used to have some photos of this . Maybe Bill Brockway will chime in and  be able to show this .
 Basically what you have is 2 plugs just like you would on a rifle .  IE the ToW plugs . These are set to the barrel .
 Then between the  two plugs ,  there is a short section of the center rib  that is held in place by a bolt .
 A  hole is drilled center between the two plugs .
A bolt is then inserted from the bottom . It comes up and taps  into  the short section of center rib . Thus holding it in place .

I wonder if this isn’t what the  fella asking the question is  taking about  as it would be one way of  continuing the top center rib back between the breech plugs that ToW sells .

I did a SXS  for a fella many years ago , this exact way  .
 On the ones I did , I used a brass bolt  and then tapped completely through the  small section of center rib .  i then did engraving and gold inlay around the brass . Thus turning the center of the bolt into the center of a  flower design .

I did find an old photo  so maybe this will help  explain what im talking about .
I wonder could this be what  the bolt question is about ?
 It would indeed go through the breech plugs

or is he talking about  the back drilling hole and plug  often seen on the outsided edge of the breech plug  on  hammer guns  which is part of the improved breech drilling  .
As was shown  by others here , that is done on the inside edge  of the plug on  flintlocks  if your doing the improved breech designs that many have posted  already

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:38:46 PM by Captchee »