Author Topic: Antique finish on metal  (Read 17230 times)

eagle24

Re: Antique finish on metal
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
My question is - why when some one ask HOW-TO do it, not whether to do it, we start getting folks kibbitzing on why?
Yes everyone has the right to their opinion and to make comments but IMO it often gets tiresome about the why and disrupts the whole flow....... ???

Well said.  My sentiments exactly. ;)

SPG

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
Gentlemen,

On the topic of proper finish, could one do better than imagining a crabby old German master gunsmith looking over your shoulder?

In my opinion (and I would stress that) the modern "aged" finishes, whether on wood or metal, are modern finishes. They appeal to some present-day buyers, however, and gunsmiths do need to please their customers. They are not historically correct finishes anymore than Parkerizing or Varathane.

If one is to replicate or accelerate normal wear he has to start with a new, correct shop finish and simulate the effects of time and use. This can be a slippery slope for reasons that I think we are all aware of.

Just my thoughts and nothing more.

Steve

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
It's really just personal taste. I sort of like a mellow aged look, sort of matching the patina I've picked over my 52 years.  ;)

And of course what the market is today. A top builder once told he makes them aged today because that's what higher end buyers want today. Simple economics.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
Personally, many times I leave the metal in the white, no coloring at all and just allow these to age by themselves. Sometimes I use a cold blue/bleach/cold blue process to color the metal. I no longer brown anything.

I like the cold blue and bleach affects because each one is different, each lock, barrel, triggergaurd is different from the last one. I can get some very interesting patterns and I think it adds to the overall appearance of the project. If I don't like what I see I simply start over. I don't consider this aging, I consider this just a way to color the metal to enhance the appearence, sorta like eye candy.

As for aging, that's hard to call. That's sorta like a project call. It just may happen that a little work is needed to repair an old original. Make it all new? Mend a broken wrist, make it look new? re-cut and rebreach an old original barrel, file off that old brown finish and make it look new? Sombody hands you a bunch of parts: barrel, lock, guard all old original stuff. The barrel is old, but the rifling is still good and they ask you if you can build a gun out of them. Make it look new?

Just an opinion.......

eagle24

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
To answer the question asked by the OP.  I finished the metal on the first rifle I built by applying cold blue then clorox immediately afterwards.  I then rubbed it down with some homemade aqua fortis to start some rusting.  Still didn't look like I wanted, so I kept it sprayed down with salt water for a day or so.  Carded it off with a piece of scrap denim, washed it with ammonia rubbed it down with gun oil.  I only had myself to please.

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
Thanks for all the advise, and opinions. Meteorman that is the finish I am looking for, and thanks for all the detail to obtain it. This is a build for my son, and he did not want it blued or browned. I understand and respect all the different opinions, but this how my son wants it, and he is more interested in what he wants than what is period correct. The stock will be cherry which probably is not period correct either. Once again thanks for all the replies, and I am thrilled I have found this site.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
They're good hosses!  (speaking of our members)
Welcome aboard.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
Nice looking rifle Greg, how about letting us see the rest of it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Meteorman

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
My question is - why when some one ask HOW-TO do it, not whether to do it, we start getting folks kibbitzing on why?
Yes everyone has the right to their opinion and to make comments but IMO it often gets tiresome about the why and disrupts the whole flow....... ???

Amen Sir.

Thanks for all the advise, and opinions. Meteorman that is the finish I am looking for, and thanks for all the detail to obtain it. ... The stock will be cherry which probably is not period correct either.    

10-4 Porchdog.  Note that my pics were a cherry stock also.  I think the colors go together well.  That was my 2nd build and there are many things about that rifle you certainly do NOT want to copy !! :o
I believe Mr. Kibler and the other posters are right on the mark in that's it's less (for me,anyway) about "artificial ageing" and more about imparting a more pleasing color and texture to the metal.  
I've found the treatment seems to have some properties for inhibiting unwanted rust beyond bare metal, but certainly not as much as true blueing or browning.  The finish requires some diligence in care and upkeep, particularly around the pan and vent areas, where BP flash residue spreads.
Good luck and have fun !  Show us some pics !
/MM
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:18:01 PM by Meteorman »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
Excellent point.

In a similar vein,  I have a mod94 saddle ring carbine made in the late 1800's that belonged to my long gone stepgrandad.   It's got a beautiful natural aged patina to it and shows 100 years of use.   But... at some point it was rebarreled with a shiny new factory part that looks awful IMHO on that little carbine.   
Parts must match as far as finish age goes.

It was probably sent back to Winchester for the rebarrel. I guess they could have dipped the barrel in acid and let the bore pit too, probably why it was rebarreled, chlorate pits. But I doubt your stepgrandad would have liked this much. Apparently he was not concerned it was 2 toned.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

eagle24

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:46 PM »
Nice looking rifle Greg, how about letting us see the rest of it.
Dennis
It's the one I finished over a year ago.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6884.0