Author Topic: Don King Receives the CLR Assoc. Pioneer Award  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Don King Receives the CLR Assoc. Pioneer Award
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
Don King was presented with the Contemporary Longrifle Association's Pioneer Award in a surprise (to Don at least) presentation on August 14th 2010 at the Montana Historical Gunmaker's Guild Gunmakers Fair in Bozeman by CLR representative Steve Garbe of Cody, WY.

Don’s gunmaking career spans nearly 60 years and has produced some of the finest examples of contemporary longrifle making from relatively plain hunting rifles to extremely ornate swivel breeches. Don has made some outstanding examples of  Bedford, John Armstrrong and various Pennsylvania rifles as well as later designs such as the St Louis Hawken and Vincent Ohio rifles both or which he made in significant numbers.
Don is not only a fine gunmaker but a teacher and mentor as well.
The award was very appropriate given the volume of work produced, its quality and the length of time Don has been involved with the "American rifle".
Don was stunned and extremely pleased to have been so honored.

There is a 8 minute video of the presentation at

It may load a little slow so its best to let it load then play it. I put in on at lower res and the quality was really bad so I reposted at max quality and its at least viewable.
I have postes a shorter video of the guns on display at the Gunmaker's Fair. Including 18 guns and a some other items by Don, including a folding Rifleman's Knife.
Hopefully this will link to it

We were hoping the announcement would appear in the last Broadside but it was apparently overlooked so I decided to post it on the WWW.

There are still photos of the Guild Fair displays at
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/DPhariss/Guild%20Fair%202010/

Dan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:50:04 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Arnie Dowd

Re: Don King Receives the CLR Assoc. Pioneer Award
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
Gentlemen -  This could not have happened to a more worthy, talented and humble man.  I have known Don personally for nearly 50 years and am proud
to consider him a good friend and mentor in more ways than one.
Congratulations  Don,
Arnie Dowd

realtorone

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
I am very happy to see Don and his work has been recognized by the CLR Assoc.
I had the privilege to live near Don while assigned to McConnell AFB,Wichita Ks,69-71 and marveled at his work.
I'm also privileged to have one of his Rifles he built for me in 71-72.I think Don 's work has far to long  gone without praise.

SPG

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »
Gentlemen,

It was indeed an honor to present Don with the CLA award. I, too, have felt that for far too many years Don has not received the recognition that he deserved for his incredible work.

I can tell you that it was a special moment for the kid who used to sit in Don's shop (whenever he could escape from school) to give Don this award. I'm not really sure to this day why he tolerated me there, other than that's the sort of man that Don is. It meant more to me than anyone will ever know.

Don's knowledge of the Kentucky rifle is incredible and even yet he will relay information that I had never heard before. A day spent with Don talking about traditional muzzle loaders and their construction is in equal measure humbling and rewarding.

Again...this award was long overdue.

Steve Garbe

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
This has been posted on the Contemporary Makers Blog as well.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/01/don-king-awarded-contemporary-longrifle.html

Offline doulos

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
This has been posted on the Contemporary Makers Blog as well.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/01/don-king-awarded-contemporary-longrifle.html

Dan did you say once he is  the maker of that fine full stock flint Hawken you post pictures of once in a while?

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
Correct.
There are 6 of them, mine and 5 others in the back ground of the photo.

Dan

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/DPhariss/Guild%20Fair%202010/?start=all