Author Topic: Need help identifying this Long Rifle  (Read 4452 times)

Offline wildcatter

Need help identifying this Long Rifle
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
I was told this gun may be Lancaster, Western PA, or Ohio but I don't know.  The gun is about 54 inches long, the barrel is about 43 inches and there is a V & L marked on the barrel which you can see in the photos.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:50:15 PM by Dennis Glazener »
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline nord

Re: Need help identifying this Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
My impression without knowing the maker is far western PA or possibly West Virginia. Though probably a fairly late piece it doesn't bear the round patchbox. The wood ( apparently refinished )  is nice as is the gun in general.

We need to remember that by the time this rifle was made travel was fairly easy and the location of where the gun was made may have little to do with where its maker came from.

Hopefully someone will identify the maker.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

msmith

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »
The Ohio books by Hutslar have a Valentine Libeau ( Leban or LeBeau) born in Prussia,worked in Russia,came to America 1816.Worked in  Rhode Island ?? ,Bedford PA, New Orleans, & Cincinnati Ohio.There is pictures of some guns he made on pages 120-124 of Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen Volume II, by Hutslar.You may want to check out aolrc.org. Not sure this is your man, but the initials match. This may be a starting point to confirm or eliminate. Good Luck, and have a Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:06:43 PM by msmith »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
Interesting patchbox, it looks like a church complete with steeple. The anchor side plate was used a lot on New York rifles.
Joel Hall

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I was able to locate the article from the Hutslar book volume II.  The percussion in the pictures has some of the same traits but the trigger is different but the lock looks the same.  Are there any New York books like the Ohio's? I have another half stock rifle I'm getting ready to put up as well. It was made by Jacob Fisher? Pictures will be up soon.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.