Author Topic: Range/Shooting Box  (Read 36232 times)

eagle24

Range/Shooting Box
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »
I need some ideas for building a range box.  I've used the search feature and found a couple, but there have to be more good design/ideas.  Anyone care to share a pic of what they take to the range?

david50

Re: Range/Shooting Box
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
here's mine!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:52:52 PM by david50 »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
What are the dimensions?

david50

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »
inside dimensions are 15"long X 8"wide X 9"deep

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
here's mine!

Needs more 'patina' young fella ;D

My is a one hand hold box, meaning rope handle on top center!! Carry the box in oen hand and the rifle in the other.  Saves an ol guy a trip! ::)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:37:02 PM by Roger Fisher »

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »
Heres a batch I juct finished.After recieveing a bunch of questions about these boxes I started a new thread here;http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13713.0
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

Mitch
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:17:04 AM by tallbear »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
I made this one a couple of years ago.  Here's my post from May 09....

I've been lugging my stuff to the range in an old Kennedy tool box for years.  Thought I would make myself one that I don't have to hide at rendezvous.  Made of oak.  Hand cut dovetails. Dimensions: 16" x 8" x 11"

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline RonT

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:31 PM »
Maybe you intended, and designed so....the five balls indexed on the top edge gave me an idea.  I lost track of my shots at a match recently (CRS).  Considered a shooting block similar to small bore comp. guys use.  Your way eliminates one more thing to misplace.   I'll put a string of them across the top and space between matches.
Thanks for the tip.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »
Having a tin box for 'match' patches and placing the 5 or 10 balls inside the tin along with the match's patches, eliminates losing 'count.'

Crispy built, then put this box up as a blanket prize at our rendezvous last summer.  I was lucky enough to be able to select it as my prize.  It measures top - 12" x 21". It is 11" high.

The tray has a projection on each end. This gives room for the chains when closing the lid.

Note the packet of swiss needle files for sight correction, the 2 bottles of patch lube for testing, both 2f and 3F - 4 or 5 'patch' boxes with varying thickness of patches for testing - & all the rest of the junk I've cluttered the box with. HA!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:54:36 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »
Maybe you intended, and designed so....the five balls indexed on the top edge gave me an idea.  I lost track of my shots at a match recently (CRS).  Considered a shooting block similar to small bore comp. guys use.  Your way eliminates one more thing to misplace.   I'll put a string of them across the top and space between matches.
Thanks for the tip.
R
A suggestion if you don't mind///!  When you drill the 'dimples' to set the balls in to, make them deep enough so a minor shake of the box or loading table does not roll one or more balls out unbeknown to you :)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
R
A suggestion if you don't mind///!  When you drill the 'dimples' to set the balls in to, make them deep enough so a minor shake of the box or loading table does not roll one or more balls out unbeknown to you :)

True!  I have since made the dimples deeper, for just that reason.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

westerner

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »
I like my old Gerstner box. It was a total wreck when I got it for twenty bucks at an antique store. The veneer was missing on the top and back. Was able to steam the veneer on the front cover back to shape and reglue. Need to do the drawer fronts,,,,,,one of these days.

Joe.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:55:39 PM by westerner »

Dave K

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 01:12:57 AM »
Every time I fall in love with a range box, it takes me a little time to wonder how to mount wheels on it. It seems as if I need 2 boxes. One for small bores and one for guns over 50. No matter what I do, it seems at the range, the stuff I need is on the work bench, because I forgot to load it into the box. Maybe I need even more boxes, I have trouble with the shotguns also. If me arse wasn't attached, I would leave that someplace. My wife thinks I already left it somewhere! :-[

northmn

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 03:02:23 AM »
Every time I fall in love with a range box, it takes me a little time to wonder how to mount wheels on it. It seems as if I need 2 boxes. One for small bores and one for guns over 50. No matter what I do, it seems at the range, the stuff I need is on the work bench, because I forgot to load it into the box. Maybe I need even more boxes, I have trouble with the shotguns also. If me arse wasn't attached, I would leave that someplace. My wife thinks I already left it somewhere! :-[

I seem to remember an idividual that bought his shooting supplies to the range using a two wheel cart to transport them.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 04:46:36 AM »
A box you can carry in one hand isn't big enough?  Hmmm - balls, patches, lube, 2 or 3 grinds or kinds of powder, flints, caps, tool bag, swiss files, sandbag all easily fit in my box, then the rifle, maybe range rod - what else it there?
I should admit that I have a VERY large box for the flying field - has two 5" wheels and an extending handle - Canadian Tire Nylon/plastic Tool Box.

Offline BrentD

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »
Every time I fall in love with a range box, it takes me a little time to wonder how to mount wheels on it.

From among the many many different designs and models available to buy built, or plans to build your own.  Google-foo is your friend... :)

http://www.cartrightguncarts.com/

Naphtali

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
I need some ideas for building a range box.  I've used the search feature and found a couple, but there have to be more good design/ideas.  Anyone care to share a pic of what they take to the range?
I use an elderly Gerstner tool chest that I bought for $110.00. I believe it has 13 compartments/drawers. The only activity it cannot do is to hold firearm in [any] position to clean the barrel. Since I do not clean at the range in horizontal gun postion, this is not an issue for me.

I have seen many Gerstner lookalike chests for sale. Depending upon your budget, any of these in good condition may serve a like purpose.

Hope this helps.

omark

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
"po' folks got po' ways" i use a 50 cal ammo can to carry the things used for all cals. files, punches, oil, bore solvent etc. then have a 30 cal can for each cal. powder, flints, caps, balls, patch material, etc. i virtually always shoot from horn and bag, so the cans dont show up on the line. i also have a 50 cal can for shotgun because of the wads, shot, etc that is needed. i can leave these cans out side if hunting or something where space is of concern. i have thought of making a nice box like you guys are showing here, and they sure are nice, but, im afraid i couldnt carry it and i wouldnt want to leave them outside.    mark

napp

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
Having just joined the BP crowd, I opted not to spend a lot of money on a range box until I had enough experience to decide what I really needed.  I bought a Stanley tool box called the Fat Max.  It might be a trifle larger than some boxes; because I wanted room to include two cased revolvers and a cylinder loading press for them.  Perhaps, it isn't necessary; but the box does have a waterproof seal around the lid.  I purchased the box for $29.95 at Lowe's; and it weighs 35 lbs when fully loaded, including two BP revolvers.

The pictures are below...chuckle or LOL at your leisure.  ;D

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
Napp,

Welcome to ALR.  Your box looks good to me and I like the waterproof seal.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline whitebear

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »
Napp, don't apologize for your tool box.  I use a large fishing tackle box that I bought at a pawn shop for $5.00 and I have been in this game since 1974.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 03:28:12 AM »
Many a folk start our with a simple tool box for a range box Napp.  No laughing here.  I used a tool box for years until I too figured out just exactly what would fit my needs - then built it. :)

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
Napp, don't apologize for your tool box.  I use a large fishing tackle box that I bought at a pawn shop for $5.00 and I have been in this game since 1974.

HA!- I've been in this hobby since 1972 - 39 years and this was the first summer I actually had a wooden box. I've been using only my possible's bag, a fishing box, tool box or tape reinforced card-board box all this time for range use.

gifford

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »
I used my old single shelf metal tackle box for years, cost was $2.00 when I was a young 'un. Then I got a couple of plastic tool boxes, the most recent was the $5.00 Home Depot Orange tool box. There are several shooters in our club that have the same box. The other box is a Plano tool box. One for flint stuff - and one for percussion stuff. Boils down to what you find that works for you.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
Having just joined the BP crowd, I opted not to spend a lot of money on a range box until I had enough experience to decide what I really needed.  I bought a Stanley tool box called the Fat Max.  It might be a trifle larger than some boxes; because I wanted room to include two cased revolvers and a cylinder loading press for them.  Perhaps, it isn't necessary; but the box does have a waterproof seal around the lid.  I purchased the box for $29.95 at Lowe's; and it weighs 35 lbs when fully loaded, including two BP revolvers.

The pictures are below...chuckle or LOL at your leisure.  ;D

Needs to be stirred around a bit i.e. dragged around behind the truck awhile....
Read tooo neat.  -  Needs patina (crud) ;D

I have a feeling it'll get some! ::)