Author Topic: Barrel Bending  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Pete G.

Barrel Bending
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
In the thread on soldering Ol' Acer said:

"Good Lordy, putting a wet rag on the opposite side will surely change the point of impact. "

Could this be used to change the point of impact on a smooth bore that needs adjustment ? The idea of putting pressure against the side of a round barrel to bend it bothers me, perhaps unnecessarily. A paper mailing tube is remarkably strong against bending, right up until it collapses. I have visions of a thin wall barrel doing the same thing, or at least developing a kink. Seems that thermal exansion might be a better way.

northmn

Re: Barrel Bending
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Barrels have been bent to change the point of impact.  It does not take that severe of a bend to make a change.  Whether some have picked up a kink in the process I cannot say.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
Barrels have been bent to change the point of impact.  It does not take that severe of a bend to make a change.  Whether some have picked up a kink in the process I cannot say.

DP
I have done that with a smoothy that shot at 4 O'clock (about 5 inches out of center) at 30 yds rest. Made a shooter out of her.  Planks, clamps, shims and some sweat on the ol brow ;D

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
I've bent ---er--- or--- REGULATED a few on a jig I made. It would be extreemly hard to kink one unless you're the Homer Simpson type. Paper mailing tubes can not be compared to steel....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:41:17 AM »
I recently "regulated" my Fowler by stepping in the middle of it suspended on 2 2x4 blocks on the muzzle end and my Mill vise on the octagon breech end. I am the Homer Simpson type and it took a couple of tries to get it to move. It really takes courage to finally try it. Shoots dead center now looking straight down the barrel showing just the bead front sight. Good luck, Bob

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
I have regulated both a smooth bore and a rifle barrel and it is amaizing how far I have had to deflect the barrel to get things in line due to the spring back effect. It may also be related to the fact they were made from the high powered barrel steel vs the leaded screw stock. The rifle barrel shot very well after the tweeking. I have not yet shot the fowler barrel but it should work well once I have the project done.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:12:16 AM »
Over the years I have straightened so many rifled and smoothbore barrels, it is usually necessary in the manufacturing
process.   In the shop we jokingly called it "bending it straight"..........Don

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
When I visited Les Bauska and also spoke with John Buhmiller in Kalispel in 1975, I spent some time straightening rifle barrels in Bauska's shop - lookingup the tubes out the dirty window - I had fleeting visions this was actually happening in Harry Pope's shop. Those who've studied this type of History will know what I'm talking about.

I've  helped Taylor 'regulate' his  at the range, shooting, removing the barrel, thumping it against a large Aspen, replacing the barrel, shooting again, removing, thumping, shooting - etc, until it shot perfetly.

Some barrels bend more easily than others due to differening alloys used. I am told the thick 20 bore barrels bend more easily than the thin 20 bore barrels. I am referring to muzzle thicknes. There is a big difference between brands.

If it won't shoot centre, then there is little else to do than to bend it - providing sighting won't remedy the problem.

Tony Clark

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

DP

ha ha! it surely does not take to large of a bend to change POI. If you are considering changing POI an a smoothbore there had to have been dozens and dozens of discussions about this in the archives of the this forum it has all been covered before. I have done it, but I use the Herschel House method , put it between 2 forked trees and have a go at it , nothing beats prior experience in this case. Actually, most everything pertaining to longrifle building and shooting has been covered before there is just not much new under the sun.