Author Topic: Raise Carved Double Barrel Fowling Piece I need some help with  (Read 5168 times)

AntiqueGuns

I have recently obtained this double barrel Fowler.  I don't know how to use this system to post photos, so I have included links, that if copied into your browser address line will show one different photo per line.  Any help would be appreciated, and esitmate of value.

2125E, RAISED CARVED American Made over and under double Fowler.  The rotating breech appears it was converted from flint to percussion.  The bores appear to 60 GA or about 18 GA.  The wood panel along the side of the barrels is incised carved.  The butt stock and primarily on the side of the check rest is raised carved.  The ramrod is replaced and the gun has a couple of missing screws, it also has a repaired portion to the triggerguard and a chip of the butt stock is loose against the frame, tape is currently holding it in place.  The barrels are 30 inches long, octagon at the breech and round at the muzzle.  Overall dark heavy patina to metal surfaces.  No maker name is visible on frame, lock or barrels.  All furnishings are brass.   Good overall, and in need of expert restoration.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:08:11 PM by AntiqueGuns »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Raise Carved Double Barrel Fowling Piece I need some help with
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:12:22 AM »
I was able to open down to page seven, and enjoyed the gun.  But it isn't American - it's German or Austrian, I think.  And I doubt that it was ever a flintlock.  I see no evidence that would suggest it.  the stock is of European walnut, and the carving is both incised and relief, and is very nice.

Welcome to this site...someone with more knowledge will surely help you out.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

AntiqueGuns

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:14:16 AM »
thanks I really appreciate the info

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:40:15 AM »
I agree with a European or Continental origin, but I would go a little slow before stating the gun was never a flintlock. The Germans and their neighbors were adept at metalworking, and in making old screw holes disappear on conversions, so this gun really needs a close in-hand inspection. While the front section of lock plate in firing position appears to have no trace of old screw holes, the front section of the lock plate in idle position, on back side of gun, does appear to possibly have "ghosts" of old screw holes. I think the gun could have been flint originally, details look early enough, but someone very knowledgeable on these Germanic guns needs to chime in here. Shelby Gallien

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
AntiqueGuns,

I hope you don't mind but I added the code to display your photos.  The remaining links aren't currrently functioning. 

As for posting photos yourself, you've already done the hard part, that is placing the photos on an external storage site.  To add picture links here, just click on the button above that looks like a little picture.  This will add the code prefix and suffix.  Then paste your picture link in the middle of the '[img' and the '[/img]'

BTW, interesting piece.  Thanks for posting it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

AntiqueGuns

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate this, you fellows are very helpful.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 03:14:16 AM »
Nice German wender; thank you for posting it here. Much appreciated! Looks like a 1700s gun that was flintlock once upon a time. This appears to be the case since it has perc. patent breechs on the barrels, and the screw holes show up on the left side photo of the lock, (they are present also on the right side but are less discernible).
The boss, along side the barrels,  for the frizzen spring, shows filled in screw holes, (two, at least). Piece was converted to caplock in Europe, most likely, given the patent breechs and the distinctive percussion hammer, and drums.
The carving is fine and seems to have been executed more carefully than on other such guns I have seen. The interlocked 'C' motifs at the cheekrest have been repeated many times up in the Upper Susq' school and elsewhere, but somewhat less in other gun building areas.
It's a great piece, and deserves to have some work done to conserve/restore it. 
Thanks again.
Dick

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 04:11:13 AM »
Good eyes Dick.  Since you pointe them out, I have found them too.  And so I agree that it is a conversion.  We also agree that it is a worthy gun.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.