Author Topic: Another source for excellent File Handles  (Read 22086 times)

holzwurm

Another source for excellent File Handles
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
Over the years I've collected a couple of dozen 8 - 12 inch files (and a hand full of needle's). Most of them do not have a handle when I obtain them off flea market and yard sale. I hate trying to make a handle that fits so I went looking or options. All the big box places (Sears, Home Depot, Lowes) have file handles priced about $4 - $5 - and they are probably good handles. But, I've found a better cheaper solution.

Harbor Freight sells 10" flat files for about $2. The file steel is almost worthless but the handles are great!. I recently bought a few, knocked off the rubbery handles, threw away the chinese file and have a very comfortable file to use that fits into its sleeve nicely.

Offline Ben I. Voss

Re: Another source for excellent File Handles
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
Out here in the "Great Midwest" we use (what else?) CORN COBS. Break to length and jam on the tang - works better than you might think and is very fashionable too. Your friends will be envious.

g.pennell

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:29:34 AM »
For smaller files, I use maple pegs that my Dad and I bought years ago for making coffee mug "trees".  Still have several dozen left of the bag of 100.

Greg

angus

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »
Corn cobs work well! Rough them up a'bit to get the chaff out. And they are biodegradable, so if they break, throw it in the stove and get another. I've got access to a few hundred acres of 'em out here in Goddard, Iowa.

For smaller files, I have also used rubber airline hose.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
I've been over to Angus' homestead.  He also uses those cobs for toilet paper!  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
Great for clingers!
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Mark Horvat

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Old golf balls make good file handles.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
He also uses those cobs for toilet paper!
Bookie,
Does he have both red and white ones handy?  The white ones let you know if'n you need another red one or not.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Joey R

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:48:22 AM »
TOF has it right........corn cobs ARE color coded!!!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:40:10 AM »
TOF, Yes, he does.  It was an effort but I finally taught him his colors.  THEN I had to teach him how to shell the kernels off.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
THEN I had to teach him how to shell the kernels off.
Well, like most things in Iowa, that's pretty corny.  ;D
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

imray

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 05:39:36 AM »
well I agree with Mark, old golf balls are great free fit the palm never wear out, and you can pick up a bucket of them free near any golf coarse. or end of a sub-division. ray

Offline fastfrankie

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:36:55 PM »
I just turn them on my lathe, then I can make them the right size for whatever file I have without a handle.
Getting old is not for sissies

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
I turn mine on the lathe out of waste/broken broom handles.  Shape the handle to suit your hand, then turn down the spigot end for the collar. I use a 5/8 long piece of 1/2 copper pipe for the collar. Flair the end of the copper pipe a bit and press it onto the spigot. Drill a pilot hole for what ever tool you need to drive into it. These have been used for file handles, and handles for my shop made chisels, knives etc. For a mallet driven chisel I will fit a washer to a step on the shank if the chisel to provide a positive stop.  The I cross drill the top of the handle so I can hang  them from nails. Ill usually make a dozen or so at a batch. I usually use no finish at all, my hands like them better that way
BJH

mike miller

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
I have found a few on e -ay and in antique stores the old file handles that you can switch the files in. Look like they are cast - some have names - others just loosen set screw and switch out files.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 04:01:56 AM »
I was in a commercial supply house the other day and I looked in the bin that had those wood handles for push brooms etc..., and there was one made out of the prettiest tight curly maple you ever saw. I bought it (could'nt resist) for just a few dollars. Its up in the rafters of my shop right now, but one of these days I'll get the lathe going and have the prettiest bunch of file and chisel handles you ever saw. right now I have my files handled with just about everything from recycled broom handles to pieces of old broken hammer handles and whatever is in the kindling bucket when I need one. Wish I had a corn crib close by. They won't flush though.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline elk killer

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
throw away razors make great handles for needle files
cut the heads off heat the file handle just a bit,,and stick the handle on it...
only flintlocks remain interesting..

dannybb55

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:04 PM »
I just turn them on my lathe, then I can make them the right size for whatever file I have without a handle.
You make golf balls on a lathe?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »
If you like the rubber handles check in Grizzly's book you can get a 6 pack of em quite inexpensively.  I like them on my heavier rasps (# 49 etc.) gives you a good grip. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
I like the screw on handles. Stay on well and when the files worn out unscrew it an put it on your new one. Very cost effective in the long run.

John A. Stein

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »
When the years get to your hands those skinny handles on Swiss files are hard to control. I've found that the hexangular tubes used to change the angle of venetian blind slats make comfortable handles. Cut them to length and epoxy the file handle in. If you don't have any spare rods, cut a bit off each rod, they're mostly longer than they have to be anyhow. The average house has blinds enough for a set of files.  John Stein

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
We have this strange place called Lou's Surplus, at a few of the farmer's markets.  All kinds of knobs, tubes, handles, nuts, bolts, screws, taps, dies, ferrules, sand paper, emory cloth, dental picks,  different varieties of hack saw blades, etc.   A most bizarre collection of hardware and fasteners.   I bought a pile of unfinished new screw driver handles and ferrules there.  Works for range rod handles, file handles, all manner of things.   

dbr

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:03 AM »
Bout 35 years ago was looking for something to spare the palm of my hand......Wire nuts........work jist fine.   I have a habit of chokeing up on the file anyways so they work for me.   

My ice braker.  Nice site wish had found it earlier. 

Little Brother

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
Wine corks.  Readily available to me in great abundance.  They seem to pile up quickly; I have a couple coffee cans full. Just push 'em on.

Ben