Author Topic: sanding block  (Read 7936 times)

Red Owl

sanding block
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:57:21 PM »
I have a short section of steel I beam that makes a great sanding block.  The upright portion of the I beam has been cut down to about a 1 1/2" height.  The width of the base has been reduced to about 3" and it is about 12" long.  The weight makes it a really good sanding block IMHO. Just make sure the base is perfectly flat/smooth.

Offline Don Getz

Re: sanding block
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
Wow.....that should get your arms in good shape.   At my age, I'm not sure I need that much exercise..........Don

TinStar

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:43:36 AM »
I have one of Turpin's building DVD's and it shows him using a sanding "plane". After doing some searching on the net I found one at a body shop tool supplier. I believe it takes long strips of abrasive as found in rolls at woodworkers supply sites. Looks like just the ticket for large areas.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

holzwurm

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
I thought I'd toss in my sanding sticks. I use those paint stirrers frm HD and I made a few wide ones that take the body shop stripes. I blow some spray adhesive on the sticks and press on the paper. It's easy to remove with a little heat from a heat gun and you're ready for a new sheet.

Got this idea from Jerry Huddleston a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:40:55 AM by rich pierce »

tuffy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
I have one of Turpin's building DVD's and it shows him using a sanding "plane". After doing some searching on the net I found one at a body shop tool supplier. I believe it takes long strips of abrasive as found in rolls at woodworkers supply sites. Looks like just the ticket for large areas.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

TinStar---You can purchase precut strips from that same auto body supply store. They come in various grits and are made to fit the sanding plane.

dannybb55

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
Milled Oak, with the back rounded some, will last a lifetime. Teak too, if you can get it. I can't imagine buying a block. Of course, what a plane won't do, a scraper will.

38_Cal

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
My step-dad was (among other things) a cabinetmaker, and I inherited his tools.  I use the heck out of his two sanding blocks...old, hard, cork blocks from condemned life vests from WWII, one flat on both sides, the other radiused.  Both use quarter sheets of sandpaper.

David