Author Topic: Three Kopp rifles  (Read 5044 times)

Kopp

Three Kopp rifles
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »
I took my Andrew Kopp rifle to Mark Wheland in Williamsburg today to drop it off for restoration. On the way, I stopped at my father's home and grabbed a couple quick pictures of his Andrew and George Kopp rifles alongside my Andrew Kopp rifle.

My apologies for the quality of the photos.

I'll take some better photos with my own digital camera when Mark Wheland finishes the restoration on my rifle later this summer.

My father's Andrew Kopp rifle at top, my Andrew Kopp rifle in the middle, and my father's George Kopp rifle at bottom:

George (left), Andrew, (mine, middle), Andrew (right):

For larger, higher definition versions of these photos, go to my blog and click on each individual photo.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:25:32 AM by Kopp »

Kopp

Re: Three Kopp rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:21:18 AM »
We took along my father's Andrew Kopp rifle for Mark to look at. He is going to use the cheek plate on my father's rifle as a template to recreate the missing cheek plate on my rifle, so he took several macro close-up photos.

Mark examined my rifle closely and said the metal work on my rifle indicated it was actually an earlier rifle than my father's Andrew Kopp rifle, based on the trigger guard and butt plate. He also checked the bore; this rifle is a 38 caliber.

However, as hurricane pointed out in the previous thread, the stock architecture has a higher comb than usual.

Mark thought the rifle might have been re-stocked by George Kopp after he returned to Geeseytown from his ten years of working in Illinois, as the current stock has some western features, like the higher comb, not usually seen in Bedford/Blair/Huntingdon rifles.

My son and I talked with Mark in his shop for about an hour and a half, and we learned more in that time about these Kopp rifles than everything I've learned up to this point. He was a great guy to talk to, and his current work that he showed us in his shop was just spectacular.

He estimates our rifle will be completed sometime this summer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:46:25 AM by Kopp »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »
You took it to the right guy, he is very talented.............Don

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »
Wise decission indeed and a great trio of rifles. Thanks for posting them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:44:24 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »
    Some fine guns. Thanks for the pic's.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

longrifle

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing it restored. ;) :) ;D