Author Topic: Newby  (Read 3153 times)

spitball

Newby
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
I have been shooting for some time, but always modern reproduction rifles (Lyman Great Plains mostly) but over the years I have acquired two rifles that were made some time ago.  Just checking if anybody has ever heard of these two makers.  Alexander McGilvray, I think of Harrisonburg, VA, and John H Wood of Helema, KY?.  My plan is to post a more detailed description and what I have found so far.  Thanks in advance, Spitball

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Newby
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Alexander McGilvary was a talented Harrisonburg VA maker. He made some really nice rifles and also some pretty plain ones. I once owned a really nice original flintlock signed by him. It had plain Jane maple stock, no carving/engraving. It had a grease hole instead of a patchbox. Well made rifle.

John Wood was a KY maker, I think he made fairly late rifles but others will have to expand on that.

Welcome to ALR.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »
Welcome to the ALR. You will find there is a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help. McGilvary is listed in Whiskers book as a gunsmith from 1812-1854 in Harrisonburg ,Rockingham County,  Virginia.   I have seen two or three  of his guns one nice low relief carved one.  AS for John Wood the best authority on Ky. made guns is Shelby Gallien. I'm sure he will be of some help when he sees this.  Weekends sometimes are a little slow on this site it might take a while.  Pictures wood be great!   JIM
JIM

Offline OLUT

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
John H. Wood of Helena Kentucky is listed as a gunsmith in several references ( and also as the postmaster of Helena, population 55, in 1875). His percussion guns are sturdy, well built, but rather plain. Most have a very distinctive tang that continues at barrel height on the stock and ends in a wedge shape with a tiny  "heart shaped" rear sight about 1/2 inch in from the rear of the tang. I have seen single barrel and over/under double guns by him. My over/under is .40 rifle over .45 smoothbore, with 35 inch round barrels. The only ornamentation is a brass patchbox with a rectangular cover. I too would be interested in seeing more information on him

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Information on John H. Wood is limited. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1823 and was in Mason County, Kentucky, working as a gunsmith in 1850 according to the census. He was married and living in the household of Henry G. Campbell, a blacksmith and also from Pennsylvania. Three other young men with trades were also living in the household; two were saddlers & harness makers, and one was a blacksmith. The various tradesmen suggest they all worked at a large blacksmith and livery shop. Wood was later listed in the 1876-1877 Kentucky State Gazetteer & Business Directory, where he was the postmaster at Helena. Not much else is known about the man, except for the signed guns that he left. He made both standard half-stocked hunting/target rifles, and also Mills-style rifles and combination guns that suggest he was trained by Benjamin Mills in Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Kentucky. The Mills-style long arms have Mills' extended, or "saw handle," type tang that gives the arms a distinctive stock architecture. Wood made a good quality gun, and a number of his guns have survived. Shelby Gallien