Author Topic: semi-wrecked English flint double on ebay  (Read 4562 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
semi-wrecked English flint double on ebay
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/English-double-fowler-stock-flintlock-muzzleloader-/300517755901?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item45f8410bfd

look at the sellers other parts.  pair of nice locks but fences and cocks are gone.  Nice basis for a flint double.
Andover, Vermont

roundball

Re: semi-wrecked English flint double on ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:43 AM »
Never understood why forearms on SxS doubles are usually so short and small.
Back when I was a younger I had a Savage B model .20ga Fox...large checkered beavertail forearm...a joy to hold and hunt with...(foolishly traded it).

Had a Navy Arms SxS .12ga capgun back in the 90's and it was like holding a toy. 

gregg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
I think????To make them slim and point like a stick . Same as a slim nice handling long rifle? That only my guess.
My wife bought me a CVA ML double shotgun kit and I slimmed the forearm like the old time doubles. ???
roundball as your post its problely lot of what your use to???

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
Yup, its all in the eye (or hands) of the beholder. I've got a 20 ga browning SXS that had a big fat beavertail on it. I hunted with a friends Italian gun that had almost no forend and loved it. I  broke out the rasp and shaped the Browning way down. Re-checkered and whamo!- looks and feels like a fine English piece!  ;D Well, maybe not but it sure feels better to my little hands and I like the look of the smaller one too. It's all individual taste.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
My friend had a Parker 12 guage straight stock with slim forend . Almost looked English. Felt really good to shoot too. I did, at one time, also have a cased Army & Navy 12 bore . Cylinder & full choked. Went 10 for 11 on pheasants. Why did I ever get rid of it???. Because it didn't have a ramrod.   Bob

Offline BrentD

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
Never understood why forearms on SxS doubles are usually so short and small. 

Because it is a fine shotgun - not a ball bat. ;D

roundball

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »

(or hands) of the beholder

That's probably it...38" sleeve lengths and paul bunyon hands

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »
Function of the forend is to  contain the metal parts necessary to join the barrel to the breech as well as to contain the ejector mechanism.  It isn't needed for a handle as the barrels are handy for that and they get the center line of the barrels more closely aligned  with the hand for better hand and eye coordination.  Also limits excess wood weight allowing slightly thicker and safer barrels.  However, if your sport (sporting clays for example) benefits with greater weight  forward then a 2 x4 grip can be useful.  Since I am a hunter more than a target shooter, lighter is better as in something just around 6 lbs being ideal for shooting and carrying.   Different strokes!

Offline bp

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:05 AM »
You don't necessarily hold on to the splinter fore end when shooting.  You will be short arming it if you do and that is not good for hitting what you are pointing at.  This is definitely the case for the two breech loaders I have.  As Jerry  V said, the fore end is re for covering up some unattractive mechanical parts and maybe for carrying.  These guns are sometimes fitted with leather barrel guards where rapid shooting would heat up the barrels.

Bruce