Author Topic: H & H barrels  (Read 7614 times)

Offline Ted Kramer

H & H barrels
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
After reading the discussion on whether to proof or not to proof, and the mention of different steel that may or may not be suitable for m/l barrels, I am now wondering  about an H & H barrel I have. It's a 7/8" x .50 that I had planned to use on a Tenn. flint rifle. Anyone know what H & H used for steel? Maybe I should hang it on the wall in the shop and not use it...?

Ted K.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: H & H barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
I'm not sure what they were made of, but I've never heard of one having catastrophic failure.  If you are concerned about it, please just send it to me & I will make sure no one is injured by it ::)
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
On second thought, I just received a 7/8ths .50 GM today that is breeched.  I'll trade ya even & pay both sides of the shipping!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:09:54 AM »
I had a 7/8 x .50 cal that I built a rifle from 20+ years ago and have shot some pretty heavy loads in with no problem.  It was a GM barrel.  I sold it a few months ago and the new owner shoots it pretty regularly, also with no problems.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »
I have one and I happend to be talking to Mike Belle the one who made it, and I asked him how
long they would last. He told me that they had never wore one out yet, so he didn't know.
The Pistol Shooter

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:25:22 AM »
I did not know Holland and Holland (ie: The English Rifle Mfgr.) made muzzleloading barrels for sale.  The abreviation for their name is certainly copy writed, I believe, as H&H.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
Daryl.............H & H stands for Hopkins & Hobbs............Don

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:10 AM »
Ted: For your information -  the Jerry Cunningham tests with a .50 cal. X 7/8"  took 800 gr. of 3f and 8 balls to produce a slight bulge.  With 1600 grs. and 16 balls he could not get the barrel to blow apart!!  Your barrel will be quite safe with normal single ball loads, I am sure! ;)  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »
I'll bet his shoulder is sore.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
tks Don

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:37 AM »
Daryl, Igor's .58 longrifle was an H & H barrel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Levy

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
I went by their shop in Ocala, Fl on several occasions and I believe they used LaSalle Stressproof for the steel in their barrels (does that sound right?).  I think it was rated to 125,000 psi?  That's what I remember, but could be wrong.  It was a long time ago.

James Levy

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
I don't know when the one I have was made, but it's a very nice looking barrel with nice wide radius cut grooves. It should shoot and clean well. It'd be a shame not to use it.

I know the ownership of H & H changed in some way over the course of their barrel making but I have always heard good things about the barrels they produced.

I have yet to use a Getz barrel, so that will be in my plans for a future build. I've heard only good things about their barrels......

Ted K

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:43 AM »
Yep, That what it was. LaSalle. I remember now. I thought H & H stood for Hoppy Hopkins?
Don't really know what happend to them. They dominated Friendship back in the 70's.
Somebody said some money disappeared. Don, you will have to PM me with the facts.
The Pistol Shooter