Author Topic: Shop Made File Handles  (Read 5198 times)

Offline 44-henry

Shop Made File Handles
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
I was trying to find a project for my manufacturing students to do that would integrate our cnc mill and a dividing head and this is what I came up with. The final project that students turn in will be a hand forged chisel to go along with the handle, but in the meantime they are having a lot of fun turning out handles for a variety of tools in our laboratory. Here are a couple done so far (in a variety of styles), of course any good file handle needs to have a color case hardened ferrule to make it look finished. Anyway here are a couple pictures of the files and our setup to produce them. I admit not quite 18th century, but it keeps the students interested and is a good use for a mountain of scrap maple and walnut that has accumulated in the back room. The cylinder in one of the photos is the jig that I made to center drill the ends of the handle in the last step.

Tormach Mill and Duality Lathe attachment that functions as a dividing head

Pictures of the file handles and the some of the blanks done so far

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:43:39 AM by rich pierce »

Offline grabenkater

Re: Shop Made File Handles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »
Wanna sell a dozen of those?
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline 44-henry

Re: Shop Made File Handles
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Grabenkater,
I talked to my students about this and they are willing to make them for sale to fund their robotics competition. Please check out the sale section for more details. PM me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Alex Johnson