Author Topic: Barrel boring/reaming bench...  (Read 6245 times)

BennyR

Barrel boring/reaming bench...
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
This is my 1st posting in a while.  After recovering from 3 separate Hurricanes here on the Texas Gulf coast, it is time for Hobbies once again.  I have had to re-register, because I couldn't find my previous user name.

I have purchased Bookies book and video on the rifling bench, and over the last couple of days cut out all of the major pieces, and turned the worm/cylinder.  I still have to cut the grooves.  It's going to be a fun project.

What I need now is direction to a place to find plans, or good pictures for a boring/reaming bench.  I searched this site, but nothing turned up.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Benny

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Re: Barrel boring/reaming bench...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:16:49 AM »
A finish reaming bench is easy. Have a friend that made one it cost him as I remember a whole whopping $9.00 plus his scrap bin. Basically his is a bench that has a home made double pillow block  with a piece of pipe running through it. A crank fasten to the end of the pipe. away to fasten a lead rod to the crank End of the pipe may have a plug welded in the end. Using a taper pin to hole it on the crank rod. From there a armor's reamer mounted to a rod. As I remember reamer is lees than 1/2 of bore size. he uses a wood backer rod against the reamer aluminum foil for shim. The cheap stuff. From there a cradle to hold the barrel. On the end of the cradle just a eye bolt on the other end of the bench a arm with a simple pulley and a coffee can of lead. You run a cable from the cradle over the arm pulley. He might have 5 to 8 lb of lead in the can. E-mail me if you want to talk it through more. so that we could trade phone #
ps rough reaming he does on his lathe. gun drilling is a art into it self look for information on Webb gun drilling I think I know his name is Webb His two video put me to sleep in 15 Min's
David
David
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:21:12 AM by David Veith »
David Veith

BennyR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:58:46 AM »
Hi David...
Thanks for the response.  I have a house full of overnight company tonight, so I will have to get back to you tomorrow.  If you want to send me your telephone number by email, and a time that is good for you to get a call, I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon or evening which ever is best for you...

Thanks again,

Benny

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »
drop you a e-mail I am home tonight.
David
David Veith

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:50:02 AM »
Howdy Benny ... Fellow Texan here (Houston area) working on the same thing.   :)

Contact Mr. Steve Bookout here on this site.  He's one of the resident geniuses here on this subject and he's just completed a new reaming/boring bench for his Toadhall Rifle Shop.  I think he had a DVD of such plans available.  It is featured on his new website.

Here is the link to his website: www.toadhallrifleshop.com
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.