Author Topic: protecting screw holes when browning?  (Read 6456 times)

Rusty Spur

protecting screw holes when browning?
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I never browned a barrel before and am going to use Dangler's browning solution.I have built a humidity box to brown it in. What is the best way to protect the under rib screw holes in the barrel from rusting?Same question for the flash hole where the nipple screws in.
Thank you,
Rusty Spur

g rummell

Re: protecting screw holes when browning?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I use an appropriate size bolt, with a little petroleum jelly on the threads.
Not too much, if you get the jelly on the barrel it will not brown.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
I stay away  from any kind of petroleum product when I am browning because it seems to find it's way to places where it's not wanted no matter the care taken!  I use spare screws and nipples to blank out the threaded holes without any grease or oil. ;)     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
I never browned a barrel before and am going to use Dangler's browning solution.I have built a humidity box to brown it in. What is the best way to protect the under rib screw holes in the barrel from rusting?Same question for the flash hole where the nipple screws in.
Thank you,
Rusty Spur

I would brown it with the rib in place.
I have never worried about screw holes but I don't let the rust get too crazy either.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
When I brown a patent or hooked breech, I have a 1/4" length of rod threaded to fit the nipple hole, with a screw driver slot cut across the top.  It is not necessary to bottom it or screw it in hard...just fill the hole.  I use 6 x 48 scope mounting screws when I screw down an under-rib, and I don't worry about plugging them, but then, like Dan, I like a fine grained matt finish from my brown, so the holes don't get eroded by the process.  Unlike Dan, though, I brown the rib with it's rod pipes separately.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Rusty Spur

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »
Thank you one and all for your responce to my question.You have been very helpful.I can get on with my browning with knowledge that I won't mess things up now.You gave me a plan.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
For cold treatments, I fill the holes with toilet bowl wax and do a quick wipe of everything else with lacquer thinner.  The holes are protected and prelubed.

Where heat needs to be applied, as in a rust blue, I just try to keep the solution away from those critical areas and make certain they are dried thoroughly when everything else can be dry also.

paxtonboy

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:54 AM »
I use 100% silicon gel and make different sized stalagmites on a piece of waxpaper (shiny side up).  Let them dry for a day or two.   They make nice plugs for muzzles and screwholes.  You can make them any size you need, and at any taper needed.  Silicon seems quite resilient to most chemicals and does not leach any oils like wax might.  Scott

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:44:56 AM »
Coat the threads with finger nail polish, let it dry. If any gets on the surface then just lightly sand then you good to go. The nail polish gets pushed out the when you thread the screw in or can be removed with polish remover. and Q-tip.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
All of you guys that are giving this guy all this info about screw holes in his barrel.......come on, how many of you have actually browned a barrel.   If you've done it correctly, you're not supposed to get that barrel sopping wet. you shouldn't be filling those holes with browning solution.   If you apply it correctly, do it with a cotton swab and squeeze most of the
solution out of the swab, then apply it to each flat, just making the flat wet.....not dripping wet.   You shouldn't have to
worry about those screw holes, no problem...................Don

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:46 AM »
Actualy, I have never browned the bottom flats of a barrel.  They do not show so I have never seen a use to do it.  As for the nipple hole, I have always just twisted a piece of paper towel, covered it with grease and stuck it in the hole without getting it on the barrel or drum.  For a touch hole, I dap a little grease in the hole and plug it with a tooth pick.  But, as Don said,  it's not dripping wet.
                                                                                Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
There is no grease, wax, or oil or any kind on any part that I am browning or bluing.  I guarantee that it will interfere with the evenness of the finish.  How can you card over it without spreading it all over the place?  Even wiping over it picks up contaminant and spoils the job.

Don't worry about the holes...just brown the barrel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
I Love It!!!

I even learn about browning (or not) the danged screwholes!

How cool is that!?!?

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
A Chronicles’ Project: How to Smoke Fish!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »
You can learn more on this site by accident, some days.
Kunk