Author Topic: Ohio builder J Hefner of Marion Ohio  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Ohio builder J Hefner of Marion Ohio
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:52:08 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a J Hefner of Marion Ohio circa 1830?
I don't have any books with Ohio builders.
Thanks
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Ohioan

Re: Ohio builder J Hefner of Marion Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:04 AM »
Dennis, try sending a message to "smokinbuck". I THINK he may have a book or two on Ohio Builders.  I've never heard of him, but that's not saying much.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:20:35 AM »
Dennis,
I have a listing for a J. Hofner, perhaps a misspelling, in Marion County, Marion, Ohio. The date I have is considerably later than what you have, I have him in the cencus of 1859. He had $600 invested in his business and had 2 hired hands he paid $50 per month, for both. I say it may be a misspelling as I also have a picture of a rifle marked "J. HEFNER / MARION, OHIO / No. 269. The rifle is a curley maple fullstock with a 3 piece patch box. The rifle is a percussion. Hope this helps a little in your search.
Mark
Mark

timM

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
Dennis,

I checked "Gunsmiths of Ohio" (Hutslar) and also "Ohio Longrifles" (Whisker) and neither had any reference to J. Hefner.

Interesting to speculate on the possibility of this J. Hefner being the next generation gunsmith connected to either Lancaster gunsmiths, John or Jacob Haeffer?....tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
This appears to be a fairly late half stock rifle with a Hawken style cap box. It is a side lock and very small caliber probably a .30 or .32. It appears to be in very nice condition. A friend wants to sell it but does not know much about it and asked me what to ask for it. I told him probably $400 - $700 IF he could find anyone interested in it. It probably would make a nice squirrel rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson