Author Topic: COUNTERSINK FOR METAL  (Read 11207 times)

Offline hortonstn

COUNTERSINK FOR METAL
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
can anyone tell me where to get a countersink that will cut metal like at the breech plug tail
thanks
paul

Offline dave gross

Re: COUNTERSINK FOR METAL
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »
You can find reasonably priced countersinks at any good hardware store/tool dealer.  Most multi flute countersinks chatter when cutting...at least mine did...until I found single flute countersinks which cut very smoothly.
Dave Gross
Way Down East in Maine

coutios

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
  Make sure the c'sink you get is for metal. Some of those hardware offerings just don't hold up. Google up MSC.. They carry a nice selection....

PS.. I beleive 82 degree is the most commonn screw out there..

Regards
Dave

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
I've never been able to get the single flutes to work well at all.  I have two that I use.  One is five flute, the other is three flute.  If one starts to chatter, I switch to the other, and the chatter goes away.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
The best ones I have found were from MSC and were PILOTED!  I got two, one for #10 screws and one for #8.
The pilots are removeable so you could get just one and switch pilots.  The pilot keepd the c'sink aligned with the hole location since if the hole is not exactly perpendicular to the suface the c'sink will often wander.  Don't know if MSC still has them.

Dave Dolliver

Birdhunter

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
Grizzly Industrial has  a set of 90 degree coutersinks that work well.

California Kid

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
Most commercial tang screws, wood screws.etc. are 82 degrees. If you are countersinking a tang screw in a drill press run it slow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:45:30 PM by California Kid »

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
I got a pack of three (don't remember the sizes) from Harbor Frieght.  I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them yet.  Going to try them soon as my pistol project is getting near to needing some drilling.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
    Got mine at ACE hardware, gets the job done.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

ERH

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
mine are a three pack from harbor freight they work fine. I think i would buy from msc if i was going to use them a lot  but u can buy a three set from HF for less then the shipping cost from msc.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
Weldon is the best I have found, smooth, no chatter.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
The angles for countersink are different for WOOD versus METAL. I can't remember which is which, but I do know that if you use a wood sink for a metal screw it is not gonna "set" quite right when drawn up and vise/versa (?) for metal for wood screws. But, the wood will usually deform slightly to allow the angle difference.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

California Kid

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »
VA never heard such a thing. wood screws are generally 82' , as are the tang bolts sold by suppliers. Use what ever the angle is on the head of the screw.

Kelhammer

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »
I prefer single fluted counter sinks over multi fluted ones.  To me they cut smoother, and faster as well.  That being said either style should do a good job. 

A few tips if you are having problems.

Use cutting oil, you dont need much but a little helps.

Use slow rpm.  A tool maker I apprenticed under would be upset with any speed above 150 rpm on such a tool.

Make use of a solid stop.  At least in a mill or drill press.  Comming down on a solid stop can get rid of a lot of chatter if you are still having problems.

To me if chatter is a problem, you are probably just running your tool to fast.

Andrew

caliber45

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »
What daveg said. Right on the money. -- paulallen, tucson az

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
Here is a tip for those who have counter sinks that chatter - cut a small piece of thin denim about the size of a average patch and put it between the counter sink and your hole and when you apply pressure the the cutter the fabric will eliminate your chatter.  ;)  Works every time!     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:07 AM »
Here is a tip for those who have counter sinks that chatter - cut a small piece of thin denim about the size of a average patch and put it between the counter sink and your hole and when you apply pressure the the cutter the fabric will eliminate your chatter.  ;)  Works every time!     Hugh Toenjes
A paper towel folded a couple of times works also. Run slow and you get no chatter.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
When I made my first rifle I drilled the hole for the tang screw in my drill press but countersunk the hole with a hand drill. When I tightened the tang screw my barrel moved up abut .010. I enlarged the counter sink, same problem, I tried different angles, same problem.

By now I had the hole in the tang so wallowed out I had to have it tig welded up so I could start over.

The next time I drilled the hole in the tang I replaced the drill bit with my counter sink and countersunk the hole at exactly the same angle as the hole I drilled, problem fixed.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
I have no idea how many RPM's I turn my countersink.  It's however fast my arm can turn the brace!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
Speaking of braces, and this actually has nothing to do with them, but it did remind me of it, there was a tool that depended on high pressure and nothing more than arm strength to bore large diameter holes through all sorts of stuff! I have to go look that up again and see if I can fond it. It was really neat, a frame, a jack, and a ratchet type arm to turn the bit. And when I say it turned and cut a neat, clean, large diameter hole, I'm not kidding!

'Twas awesome in the extreme!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
A Chronicles’ Project: How to Smoke Fish!

Offline Mike New

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
I have found that if I use a hand drill and touch the countersink to the work then turn on the hand drill I am more likely to have chatter. I all ways get a much smoother countersunk hole if the tool is turning before coming in contact with the work. Running very slow. A rigid set up is also helpful as is a sharp countersink.  When I served my toolmaker apprenticeship I was also taught to keep things "short". For example you should not let your lathe tool hang out farther than necessary. A countersink is usually a short stubby tool but it can still chatter if left hanging out of the chuck more than necessary. Mike.