Author Topic: muzzleloading barrel liners  (Read 9032 times)

camerl2009

muzzleloading barrel liners
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »
ok so i was thinking that if i took some 1 1/8" 360 brass hexagon and bored it out for one these liners
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=510 manley the .50 cals
wolud it be safe  ???

Offline Old Ford2

Re: muzzleloading barrel liners
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »
Why??  At $4.89 per inch, a 30" barrel would cost  $146.70, plus the cost of your brass would make a very expensive barrel!

Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:47 AM »
Why??  At $4.89 per inch, a 30" barrel would cost  $146.70, plus the cost of your brass would make a very expensive barrel!

Old Ford

yes but it look nice  :o

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:19:57 AM »
If the brass was in fact hexagonal, it would look ridiculous Cam.  Octagonal stock is what you want.

And it would only look nice when it was new.  If you use it, it will tarnish so badly, the effect of the brass would be lost.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

RwBeV

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:52 PM »
I think at the curent price of brass it would be more than the liner

gregg

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
I priced some round stock 5/16 what are they 36 inchs?
$18 bucks.  :o

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
No direct experience with this.

Guess you thread the breech-plug into the brass.

In brass one uses coarse threads, never fine thread.

Important that the liner stay in place, not slide forward. In some of the not-so-great cartridge conversions of Sharps .52 cal percussion carbines to .50-70, the liners were known to come out. I had one of those conversions in about new condition, the changes made in the latch spring were horrible, shop that did them took no care at all, if they were the same ones that put in the liners no wonder they came out. Early .50-70 trapdoor Springfields did successfully use .58 cal Civil War barrels relined to .50-70. Trapdoor guys might know how that was done. 

I don't know the best, surest way to hold the liner in. Be nice if someone with such experience would comment.

My guess would be soft solder.  Epoxy tends to be poisined by copper, not reliable holding copper alloys. Yeah, I used to mix my epoxy on a brass plate & it stuck like $#*!. I recall that in Ancient Times if one needed to stick something to a piece of brass for enginering purposes one did not use epoxy. This was in the 1960's. Maybe there is a current epoxy for which this is not true. But do not take it for granted.

Didn't know these liners existed. Yeah, I like the looks of brass barrels & I am still capable of cleaning my brass. Hard wax, such as Johnston's Paste Wax, or best, Reniassance Wax, may help some. Brass is sensitive to corrosion from the sulfur in black powder so the lining is worth considering, if you want a "brass" barrel. Also you get a reasonably known steel used for rifle barrels, not whatever yellow metal one chooses to call brass.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
For all that trouble you might just as well solder shim stock around a steel barrel. ;D
Best regards,
Dale

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 02:43:25 AM »
E. RAYLE will make you a "brass" barrel...I'd just buy one of them and be done with it.

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:56:03 AM »
Maybe you should just stick to forging the damascus barrel for now. Do the brass one later.

ERH

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
i know that they use the real good lock tight to hold liners in place. but i dint know anybody that had the two different metals they might expand different and cause u problems. i think i would just buy a brass barrel from a costom barrel maker most of them will make brass barrels.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 06:11:16 AM »
 If the brass appearance is all your after, why not have a steel barrel brass plated...  just thinking out loud..Kerry