Author Topic: Top Quality Files or, Am I Rasping at Straws  (Read 5904 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Top Quality Files or, Am I Rasping at Straws
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
Fellows,

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I really do alot of thinking out here and there's nothing worse than going to my hootch, hitting the rack, and have to ponder these questions!

I've been searching through the internet trying to find files! I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't seem to get pointed in the right direction.

Here's what I would really appreciate from you fellows if you have the time and inclination. Please feel free to make suggestions and I'll put together a final list.

I would like a list of the files I'll need, including safety files and screw slot ones (WHAT are they called!!!) for my shop and soon to be in my hands build. And if you will please, please direct me to a supplier, I will be most appreciative.

Sometimes the internet can be so frustrating...

Thank you!

Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Handfeeding Baby Birds!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:39:14 AM by Rasch Chronicles »

TinStar

Re: Top Quality Files or, Am I Rasping at Straws
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:01:55 AM »
Try MSC Industrial Supply on the web.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:38:48 AM »
You can get screw slot files from Brownell's, Montezuma, IA.  I believe tey're European imports.  For other files, I use MSC but be careful about brand names (manufacturers).  I prefer Nicholson but the last batch of Nicholsons were labeled "Made in Brazil"; they seem to work as well as the older ones made in the USA.  Grobets, from Sweden, I think, have given me good service.

Others here can perhaps give more recomendations.

Dave Dolliver

Offline wormey

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:41:15 AM »
Midway USA and Brownells are hard to beat! Extra narrow pillar files are most useful.  The dovetail fire from Brownells is wonderful.  Cheap is not good when it comes to files, :D

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:34:18 AM »
    Got a new, never used, Nickolson file and a old hand saw last week for less than $5.00. Can't beat a pawn shop ;D. Sometimes you find good stuff and it is so cheap even if it is a name brand you don't mined trying to make other things out of them. And if it doesn't work out, well it was just a couple bucks. ;D    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

38_Cal

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
Some of the files that Brownells sells are exclusive to them, like the dovetail files and the draw file, others are F. Dick or Grobet or Nicholson.  Check out Rio Grande Jewellry Supply, www.riogrande.com, for their tools.  Some of the same files that the B company sells, at much better prices!  Also Enco, MSC, and other machinist tool companies.  You just have to think of alternate industries that use the tools you need for gunsmithing... ;D

David

Offline stoneke

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
I  have used a company in NJ called Gesswein. Their website shows about any file that you could need and use. They also carry die maker stones that are great for final finishing.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your insight on these matters. I had a real problem finding them and with selections like the sites you guys pointed out.

Gesswein : Tools for Jewelers, Mold & Die Polishers & All Precision Industries
American Pattern Files

Rio Grnade Jewelry: An online source for innovative jewelry making supplies.
Files

Brownells: Files

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Handfeeding Baby Birds!

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »
I think you will find that Jamestown Dist. , most always has the best prices on files and rasp like the # 49 and #50.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2778&familyName=Cabinet+Raspsps.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »
Don't forget to reserve a set of files for brass only. I don't know why, but once a file is used on steel it performs very poorly on brass afterwards. Incidentally try scrapers for brass. You can do a good bit of cleanup and shaping and save the tedious filing for the final shaping.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 03:37:54 AM »
Great tip Pete!

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch