Author Topic: lock on Schreyer number 15  (Read 3103 times)

Michael

lock on Schreyer number 15
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
Looking for opinions from anyone as to whether the lock is a product of Schreyers shop, or is it imported?  I had the chance to examine the rifle at the KRA/CLA show last november in Winchester,Virginia and took lots of pictures and measurements when the show was finished. Unfortunatly the flash on the camera was not working and the pictures were too dark to be of any use. Still, any chance to examine the work of a Master is time well spent.

Michael

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: lock on Schreyer number 15
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »
Michael,
If you have photo editing software such as Photo Shop or Photo Impact you should be able to lighten up those photos. If you don't have the software send them to me and I will see what I can do with them.
Dennis
tdg23113@comcast.net
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

keweenaw

Re: lock on Schreyer number 15
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »
Michael,

Unless a lock was marked it wouldn't be possible to tell if it was from a given shop.  Shumway reports several records of Schreyer buying imported locks from a local supplier.  One of the experts can usually tell whether a lock was of domestic production or an import but it gets a lot harder to tell from photos if a lock was an import if it was reconverted.

Tom