Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Benjamin Vore...Somerset Co, PA  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith: Benjamin Vore...Somerset Co, PA
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
A fine , rather plain gun in the typical form/style of the Bedford Co area. Vore is listed as a Somerset Co maker.

Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16880.0

Please comment here as a reply.

The Museum Committee

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Benjamin Vore...Somerset Co, PA
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
When citing the title of a book.   I recommend  to indicate the
author.  This eliminates any confusion and gives due respect to the author.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:11:37 PM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »
Since Vore had a shop in Bedford County and this rifle is a representation of a  Bedford style rifle rather than a Somerset rifle wouldn't it be better listed as a Bedford Rifle.?
Mitch

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
Ben Vore also lived in Oakland, Maryland and returned home after the death of his wife to live with his Daughter and Son in law, Casper Ealy Davis who was also a gunsmith (possibly was Vores apprentice). Its a probability that Vore made rifles at both locations.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
Vore, to my knowledge was never in West Virginia. He was born in Napier Township in 1814, in 1830 the family moved to Creek Township, Somerset County. In 1835 he was in the census of Napier Township and taxed as Benj. Fore. and the entry was not repeated. His first shop was on the Bedford - Stoystown turnpike. From there he and his wife had a farm near New Baltimore. Then from there they moved on to Oakland, Maryland, this is where his wife passed away and from there moved with his Daughter and Son in Law to New Paris. Ben Vore passed away on July 3rd 1886 and was interned at Lambertsville, Somerset County. This is an attractive little rifle that is in excellent condition, the hammer I believe is not original to the rifle (notice the hammer is darker than the lock plate). I believe it was originally flintlock. The lock plate is initialled in Bedford form, I believe that the barrel was shortened at the breech because the pull is 12.5 inches, but the ramrod pipes are evenly spaced without showing any sign of being moved. The barrel is 40 inches, flat to flat is 7/8 inches.There is some engraving on the patch box, but it is minimal.