Author Topic: PC/HC English Scalper  (Read 4028 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
PC/HC English Scalper
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:50 AM »
Just finished this one. A PC version of the classic English scalper knife. 7 1/8" blade of 01 steel, tapered in both directions. Blade and tang. A Boxwood handle secured with iron rivet pins. The handle is oversized as were the originals, having a slight overlapped gap on the under side, and extending into the blade area a tad bit. This is the typical English trade scalper of the 18th c., but with a superior steel, and an epoxy sealed tang to prevent water intrusion. The sheath is a center seam up the backside, of 6/7 oz vege-tan tooling leather, stained black with the vinegar/iron natural stain. I am beginning to love this stuff. It does not rub off onto your clothing. Hope you enjoy a look. I am well pleased as to how it all came out. I plan to do the French type also, when I get some time. Thankyou for any comments, or critiques.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: PC/HC English Scalper
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:02 AM »
   Really nice work, as always Wick. The handle looks familiar, English Boxwood grows so slow a piece like that has got to be not only old by hard to find. 

Tim C.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »
I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

KennyC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:31:40 AM »
That is some sweet !!!

David G

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:56:23 AM »
Wow Wick! As much as I like the knife I like that sheath equally as well. You nailed 'em both. Great work.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »
Very nice piece of work sir. How many coats of stain on the sheath to get it that dark?
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta