Author Topic: 110118-4  (Read 8145 times)

Offline nord

110118-4
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »

Comments:

A really artistic rifle, but it almost looks "new".  I presume that it has had some fairly aggressive cleaning in recent years?

=================================================================
It does appear that this rifle has been heavily cleaned and some darkening agent has been put on the barrel and lock.  The engraving work is excellent and the wood is flawless, it is a very nice rifle.  I have to admit that I would love to take a closer look at the stock with it's parts removed.  With that said, this rifle is pictured in the book on Western Pennsylvania Rifles, I would think that the authors of the book would have vetted it pretty well, what do the others think?

In my opinion, this rifle is a high art rifle without the 'art' we have come to expect. The engraving is superb, as is the patchbox, and the stock wood. The bore is remarkable and is a very rare feature. Condition is excellent, but does not show the usual marks of cleaning. We are not used to it, but a few rifles have come down in 'mint' condition. I cite the Issac Haines rifle owned by the PA Historical Society as an example. That rifle is at least a half century older than this one, and is in like condition. It seems likely that this gun would have been somewhat difficult to shoot with its strange bore, and that may account for its pristine appearance. It may have been shined up some, but I kind of doubt it. It looks the same as when shown in Kauffmann & Rosenberger, and they were very critical about the rifles that appear in their book. Looking at the pan and the surrounding area, there does not seem to be any burn marks and the muzzle is unmarked, as well. I wonder if it was ever shot?
From photos...could be a period or later restock. Tang, lock plate look suspect, however, other furniture look original. "If it looks toooooo good to be true".........?  Whisker's Virginia Rifle books have at least three restocked rifles shown, I bought one of them at auction (rifle was vetted by noted KRA member) returned for refund. Also bought a nice N.C. rifle from top auction house, returned (was a 1960's restock). Handled the other Virginia rifle which had a period restock, it's easy to be deceived by photos.

==================================================================
I'm sure your right, but after giving this rifle a closer look, I see no sign of any loss of engraving (from being re-stocked) on the patchbox or on any other metal parts.  Your right, it does look too good to be true, but I've had the opportunity to study a famous collection in  New York State that has several rifles in it that are preserved in similar condition, and they're all 100% correct.  Rifles in this condition are few and far between, but they do exist.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:34:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.