Author Topic: Black powder prices today  (Read 19791 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Black powder prices today
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Anyone know of a better price on black powder than here?
    http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Beats Graf's price on Goex.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Leatherbelly

Re: Black powder prices today
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
What a deal. I've paid over $500 a case for 2f. Wish they shipped to Canada.Even with HazMat and shipping I'd save $200 a case(25 lb).

omark

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
its better than anything ive seen lately. mark

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Sounds a little high to me. I just bought 25 lbs of Swiss delivered to my door for 500.00
You can get Goex from Deercreek for 12.80 a lb. delivered.  The Swiss came from Clarksville
Rod & Gun.   I think they have Goex delivered for 14.00 a lb.  It pays to check around.
The prices I'm quoting include Haz-Mat & shipping. Be sure to consider this when pricing powder
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:33:34 PM by Frizzen »
The Pistol Shooter

B Staley

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
Dang I need to start buying in bulk; I paid 24.99 a pound for Goex 2F at Bass pro the only place around here that sells it.......B Staley

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »
Check with Craig and Bear river Powder in Wyoming, you can google contact info

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »
Dang I need to start buying in bulk; I paid 24.99 a pound for Goex 2F at Bass pro the only place around here that sells it.......B Staley
Sure thats the way to go.  Split the cost and the powder with buddies. Sure is the better way if you shoot a lot. Doesn't spoil like roadkill ::)

tuffy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »
Powder, Inc. has Goex any grade for $349. for 25 lbs (mixed if you wish), shipping and hazmat included in the price.

www.powderinc.com

Go to the order page to see all prices.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »
That's a good price for 24lbs in bulk.  That's the way I'd buy it and every supplier doesn't sell it that way.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
I bought 3 cases of Goex from Craig at Bear River Powder in Evanston, Wyoming.  He has an ad in the March-April Muzzleloader Magazine on page 61.  Phone 307-679-0886, Email: bearriverpowder@allwest.net.  I bought a case of 25 pounds bulk in both Goex 2F and 3F, cheapest way to get it.  You probably have emply cans!
Herb

Offline Maven

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 02:51:44 AM »
Try Jon Blackert @ www.addictedtoblackpowder.com
Paul W. Brasky

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:14:46 AM »
They have great prices on powder.  They are located near Winchester VA.  I believe they do a lot of business with the NSSA guys.  I'm going to be picking a case up during the spring national NSSA shoot, along with various shooting supplies.  Hopefully, I will be able to find a decent priced musket too.  I've been wanting to get into musket shooting.
                                                                            Brian
B. Lakatos

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:15 AM »
That's a good price for 24lbs in bulk.  That's the way I'd buy it and every supplier doesn't sell it that way.

Hanshi - Frizzen just quoted $320.00 shipped- ie: $12.80 per pound.
$13.96 is still good though - that's what $349 per case come to.

We've paid up to $550.00 - that's $22.00 per pound - in a plastic bag.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:26:21 AM by Daryl »

roundball

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:38 AM »

Dennis

Dennis, if you have any travel plans that will take you close to a Goex distributor, you can buy it in 25lb bulk quantities for $7.50/lb.

A year ago I had to go north for a funeral and went up through Pennsylvania, within 30 minutes of the Goex distributor in Moscow, PA that I've used for several years...the bulk buy is 25lbs of loose Goex in a heavy plastic bag inside a Goex carton...they can't ship it that way so its pick-up only.

I bought two 25lb bulk cartons at $7.50/lb, and refilled 50 empty Goex cans when I got home, removed the old date & lot #’s from the cans and applied the new date & lot #’s.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »
Dennis, if you have any travel plans that will take you close to a Goex distributor, you can buy it in 25lb bulk quantities for $7.50/lb.

A year ago I had to go north for a funeral and went up through Pennsylvania, within 30 minutes of the Goex distributor in Moscow, PA that I've used for several years...the bulk buy is 25lbs of loose Goex in a heavy plastic bag inside a Goex carton...they can't ship it that way so its pick-up only.

I bought two 25lb bulk cartons at $7.50/lb, and refilled 50 empty Goex cans when I got home, removed the old date & lot #’s from the cans and applied the new date & lot #’s.

Thanks that sounds like a great deal. I will check and see where Moscow PA is, I will be going up to Pittsburgh later this year.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

roundball

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »
Here are all of the Goex Distributors...the lady that runs the one in Moscow is 'Bonnie'...I started with her in 2001 ordering cases (of cans) as she had the best mail order price...but any of the distributors probably have the same or close over the counter bulk prices if one is closer to your travels

http://goexpowder.com/distributors.html

Bob F

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:57:57 AM »
Dennis,

Moscow is near Scranton...on the opposite side of the state from Pittsburgh.  Worth the trip up from Dixons..only a little over an hour north of Dixons.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 05:10:09 AM »

Thanks that sounds like a great deal. I will check and see where Moscow PA is, I will be going up to Pittsburgh later this year.
Dennis

Moscow, PA is the other end of the state.  Just outside of Wilkes-Barre.
The company at Moscow was used by GOEX as a main magazine when they operated the Moosic, PA plant a few miles away.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
A friend of mine just drove 2 hours to buy 2 lbs at $32.00 each. You folks are lucky to have it available at less than $20

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
I pay $12 lb for GOEX though our Long Hunter's Club.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »

Dennis

Somebody ships it that way - in 25 pound plastic bags in the GOEX carton - that's how we buy it.  The carton also will hold 25, 1 pound cans.

roundball

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
No idea what happens in Canada...in fact I thought you'd said you couldn't even order it directly from a Goex Distributor, of which there are at least 2 in Canada.
 ???

At any rate, this US Goex Distributor said they couldn't ship that particular 25lb loose powder configuration...it was over the counter local pickup only...and it doesn't surprise as there is virtually no protection what-so-ever...if any sort of object happens to poke through the simple cardboard catron, there's 25 pounds of loose blackpowder exposed immediately.

Pretty sure if Goex would ship it that way here in the US, that's how all of us would have been buying it for years now at that low price/pound.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 12:02:33 AM »
The last two times I bought powder I ordered the cases from Powderinc.  Their prices were pretty good but have gone up since then.  If I can buy it in bulk for a lot less it would be well worth making the trip to a distributor - There's one in Va. I know of.  I guess one would also save the hazmat fee by picking it up rather than ordering.  does anyone know for sure if a distributor will ship it in bulk?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:59:45 AM »
Virginia distributor is Backcreek Gun shop. 540.888.3349. He also handles the Swiss and maybe others. Give him a call.

roundball

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »

does anyone know for sure if a distributor will ship it in bulk?

I've already stated that U.S Goex distributors don't ship the loose bulk powder.
And my comments were with a certain assumption that people would also want the lowest cost shipping.
Goex Distributors also ship the least expensive, secure carriers, meaning UPS / FedEx / HSL, etc.

However, let me be much more clear in case somebody wants to start trying to split hairs:
The carriers that the Goex Distributors use, like UPS, FedEx, etc, won't ship cases of loose blackpowder in their delivery systems...only cases of BP in their protective cans.

You "CAN" have a plastic bag of loose BP in a cardboard box delivered to you by contracting a "common carrier" freight trucking line but the minimum shipping cost alone is in the neighborhood of $500 - $1000, then the price of the blackpowder...I didn't mention that as I assumed it would not be an attractive option to save money.

Hope this helps...but I think the best thing for you to do is just call a Goex Distributor then you can tell us...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:02:33 AM by ' roundball ' »