Author Topic: Rotary Burr for Crowning Muzzle  (Read 8465 times)

Greenmusket

Rotary Burr for Crowning Muzzle
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »
I need to cut and crown a barrel for a Kentucky Pistol and was wondering what rotary burr you all suggest for crowning the muzzle of a .45 caliber barrel?

Ravenwolf

Re: Rotary Burr for Crowning Muzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:49 AM »
Hello, I would try to use a good sharp chamfer tool, I use rotary burrs when we have a hog-mawl job in the shop, wanting to remove alot of material fast. You will get alot of chatter with the rotary tool also, best to cut slow and steady to make a nicer job. Best to you and yours; Ravenwolf;

Greenmusket

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:44 AM »
Ravenwolf, I appreciate the advice. I'm still new to this. Would you mind recommending a chamfering tool and size that would work? Thanks.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
I use a rotery stone @ 3/4" dia thats kinda pointy at the end. Not a professional description,but that's what I use. I get them at the auto supply store.go slow and use lot of oil!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Scott Semmel

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
I use a round or cone stone with 1/4 shank for a drill, in a brace or eggbeater drill go slow and keep it centered, really isn't a lot to crowning other than care that it is uniform. After the stone some 220 or finer emory on your thumb to polish.

Greenmusket

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
Thanks Pathfinder. I'll look for one.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:39 PM »
If you choose to use a rotary bur or countersink, yo may find it  beneficial to bevel off each land with a file prior to running the tool.  Starting with a surface such as this will sometimes help if your tool has a tendency to chatter.  I have found mounted stones to be a good tool for muzzle crowning as well.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »
I use a rotary file from Nicholson  and slow speed with a piece of thin cotton between it and the muzzle to eliminate chatter.   Works like a dream!  ;)   Hugh Toenjes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:32:21 PM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »
I use a rotary file from Nicholson  and slow speed with a piece of thin cotton between it and the muzzle to eliminate chatter.   Works like a dream!  ;)   Hugh Toenjes

Yes - or a chamfer tool (3 to 5 cutting edges) then use some emery underneath the tip of your thumb to smooth the sharper corners. This allows the ball and patch to swage/draw/compress together smoothly, without raising a ridge of lead.  It allows you to load a thicker patch and larger ball for tighter fit that can seal the gas pressure behind, instead of having gas cutting which reduces accuracy and builds fouling in the grooves which necessitates wiping.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
When I see the word "Bur", I picture one of those tapered tools with many sharp, narrow teeth sticking out the side, for rapidly chewing wood.

I would not put that any where near my muzzle.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:39:27 PM by Daryl »

gregg

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »
My best was with a stone as above but when done I used wet /dry sand paper and the stone as the mandrel and polish the heck out of it. Trying to keep everything as squair as I could. It seem to work well?
I HAD THE IDEA THAT YOU HAD TO NOT CHAMFER NO DEEPER THAN YOU HAD TO TO GET THE JOB DONE? THAT A DEEP DISH/CHAMFER WAS A BAD THING FOR A GOOD SHOOTING RIFLE. i KNOW THERE IS TRUE SHOOTERS HERE THAT WILL ANSWER THIS.
Thank You

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »
There are guys here who like cones, too.  for them, it works.  I prefer only deep enough to allow me to load the combinations I use.

Greenmusket

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:47:14 AM »
After reading all the posts, I'm thinking this rotary grinding stone might work in a brace. I'll use the stone first and follow up with the emory paper. Thanks everybody for all the advice.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00964725000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Ron Brimer

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
Use A coned  stone and hand powered Brace, or drill use lots of lube, Robert Watts used a brass cone (or ball) to finish it up. I worked for Bob , off and own for several years, He did a lot of guns, And liked the barrels cut to 40 inches.  Ron B

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
Steel ball cutter to start in a brace, then a brass ball with compound, then emory paper to polish and (like Jenna says always use spit) :o ::)

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
I used to use a stone for years, then switched to just using the stone with emery wrapped around it. The stone was only for the angle - tapered, of course. I found the resiliency of the cloth would slightly round the corners of the grind, making a finish easy and quick by hand or with the same tool and finer grit & crocus cloth to a perfectly polished crown. It doesn't take much on a small bore - be careful.  It's very easy to be a bit ham-fisted and make a huge funnel at the muzzle.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:15:21 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
I used to use a stone for years, then switched to just using the stone with emery wrapped around it. The stone was only for the angle - tapered, of course. I found the resiliency of the cloth would slightly round the corners of the grind, making a finish easy and quick by hand or with the same tool and finer grit & crocus cloth to a perfectly polished crown. It doesn't take much on a small bore - be careful.  It's very easy to be a bit ham-fisted and make a huge funnel at the muzzle.

Daryl or others.  Where do you get crocus cloth by the sheet rather than in bulk??  My supplier no longer carries it and I cant find anything called crocus cloth elsewhere .. also what grits do you find most usefull on guns??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
I bought the last package of crocus sheets from Canadian Tire, I think it was - over a year ago. Might have been Home Depot?  As to grits, for crowning I use 320 and then crocus for polish(if I do that step- not always).

trimegistus

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
hahahahah @ Rodger  :D