Author Topic: Magnetic tray  (Read 6409 times)

dbraw

Magnetic tray
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
Just a short note to share my use of a magnetic tray for parts when taking apart a lock or triggers for browning or polishing. By placing the parts that are not to be browned or polished in the  tray, I am less likely to loose them on the bench.
Dan

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Magnetic tray
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
You may grow to dislike the magnetic tray since it will impart  a slight magnetism to your parts or any tools that might come in contact with it.  This would be a real nusiance whien filing parts and having chips stick to them.  It doesn't take muck residual magnetism for this to occur.

dbraw

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
I have wondered why I have all that fuzz on my screwdriver and parts.
Thanks

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
Magnets on the bench are a curse - ask me how I know  ::)
H.T.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
I have a wee led light that lives in my file drawer. The battery end is always covered in filings. Some screwdriver tips as well

gregg

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
Magnets on the bench are a curse - ask me how I know  ::)

Ok Hugh how do you know??????
Others are dieing to know???ha ;D
Gregg

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
I used to use a small bowl to keep parts in but I would manage to dump it occasionally. So, I took one of those big plastic yogurt (1 Qt) containers and I cut 1 1/2 inches off of the top. I epoxied the top on and tipped it over so the top is now the bottom. Since it is smaller at the top than at the bottom the thing is impossible to tip over. So Far.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:11:31 AM by Capt. Ken Moors Fred »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »
Zip Lock Bags!!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

dbraw

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 03:04:40 AM »
I kinda wish I hadn't mentioned the magnetic tray use. Just wanted to share and idea. I have used one for years in gun making and have not had any problems.
I think I will keep my other ideas to myself.
Sorry,
Dan

gregg

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:35 AM »

""""I kinda wish I hadn't mentioned the magnetic tray use. Just wanted to share and idea. I have used one for years in gun making and have not had any problems.
I think I will keep my other ideas to myself.
Sorry,
Dan"""""
 I hope not. I to have been useing a magnetic tray last year or so.
Been ok but have kept it away from fileing or the mill or lathe.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
dbraw- I've got retrievial magnets all over my shop great for lifting barrel straight up while inletting, for a disorganized dude they are a great way to keep parts and tools where I can find them. A magnatized file can be a pain in the butt so I don't introduce them to magnets if I can help it. Other than files I don't know what the big no/no is.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
As I mentioned before, if you plan on filing parts with magnetism, sticking chips are a pain.  Also unless you are carefull, having magnets on the bench will result in tools coming in contact with them.  Magnetised tools are not a good thing. 

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Dan:  Ideas and opinions are the mainstay of this forum!  We may not always agree with what others have to say but what can be learned on this type of site far outways the negative comments that others make.  So don't stop now - we want to hear from you - I promise not to  :D    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »
OK maybe I'm slow but I still don't get it. Agreed a magnetized file that you use on steel is a pain. But I don't see how being magnetized does anything to wood contact tools or files dedicated to wood or brass (OK you need to clean them of attracted filings for brass finish work). My steel contact tools are basically files, screwdrivers, measuring tools, drill bits, chisels, and hacksaw. I magnetize little screwdrivers intentionally so they help me handle little itty-bitty screws and I don't see a hacksaw or measurement tools impaired by magnetization. Please enlighten me
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:30:25 PM by Scott Semmel »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:39 PM »
Tools that attract filings, or magnetized filings that are attracted to tools in my opinion are a nusiance.  Any edged wood working tool coming into contact with magnetized steel or iron filings will have a good chance of being damaged unless they are continually cleaned off.  I don't have magnets except for one on a surface grinder and I still sometimes have problems with chips being attracted to tools.  I understand that a chisel, gouge, graver etc shapened to an edge or point is prone to develope a magnetisim.  Serious engravers commonly demagnetize their tools to prevent chips from sticking.  My point of all this rambling is this.  Chips that stick to metal or wood working tools are no benefit and in fact are sometimes a problem.  If I can avoid magnets I'll do so.  If your happy with your way of working that's of course ok.  What are problems for some aren't necessarily for others.

dbraw

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Blacksmoke,
Thanks for the comments. I won't stop with ideas for gun building. I agree, this forum is a wonderful source of information and interest. It is always amazing to me that we are involved with an subjects that go back so many years. Yet, we now correspond wirelessly.
Dan

omark

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:28 AM »
many tools like screwdrivers, etc can be at least partially demagnetized by sharply banging the shank on your vise or anvil. demagnetizers are also available. that way you can magnetize/demagnatize as needed.   mark