Author Topic: H Carlile Pennsylvania / Kentucky rifle  (Read 18054 times)

Spider7115

Re: H Carlile Pennsylvania / Kentucky rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
I just uploaded 28 pics to a photo album. Rather than post them all here, just go to this link:

http://my.att.net/s/photos.dll?ep=9&aAlbumID=476298&atitle=Carlile%20Rifle

You can magnify them on Internet Explorer by using your "zoom" button at the bottom right of your browser.

Opinions and comments are welcome!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »
I just uploaded 28 pics to a photo album.

Can't see the pics because login is required.
Can't login because I'm not you.
Gotta be a way to make them publically viewable.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Spider7115

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
I just uploaded 28 pics to a photo album.

Can't see the pics because login is required.
Can't login because I'm not you.
Gotta be a way to make them publically viewable.

OK, sorry. It's a new feature of AT&T and I guess I can't make it public. I'll find another site to post them. Thanks.

Spider7115

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »

Spider7115

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »
THe 4 posted pictures look good. Suggets you try uploading to "photobucket.com."
Hurricane

Spider7115

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 10:50:43 PM »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
Yeah Boy! you have a winner here. Congratulations! This is one fine Carlile rifle. Whatever you had to give for it wasn't too much. You have a good eye and I hope you find many more.
There are a few areas that could be improved on the gun. It appears that some inlays have been replaced and some may still be missing. The replacements look like German Silver and are not engraved. The cheek rest would have had a beautiful eagle with wings spread out beyond the oval. There is a dandy J. Johnston rifle with that type of inlay. If you want a copy for style and design, get in touch with me. It looks like all the silver was engraved, as is the brass, and surviving inlays. Use real silver .999 fine if you can get it. It tarnishes fast and looks good.
If the lock proves to be new, file it up some and engrave it to match the commercial locks of the period. Otherwise, find, or make, a correct replacement.
The stock appears in places to have been stripped, and/or perhaps sanded, to lower the new inlays. Suggest that you contact JTR to see if he can advise you on some remedies for this as can others, no doubt.
It can be given a surface age appearance; the color is a wowser. Don't touch that.
Huge plusses on the gun are the barrel engraving, the superb carving, the wonderful and unusual patch box, the furniture engraving, and the good wood in the stock.
You have one of old Henry's finest creations, it appears. Congratulations again.
Thank you for letting the rest of us drop by and take a good look at her.
Best-Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »
Spider, this is a great Carlile rifle, probably the fanciest one known. I agree with Dick that the several larger non-engraved inlays on the cheek side of the butt are replacements. Note their large nail heads, much larger than on the original inlays. But all that can be put back into proper order by a good restorationist. It's an exceptional Carlile rifle, with many outstanding details. It's just a great find, and I'm just a little bit jealous!  Shelby Gallien