Author Topic: Fingernails on a chalkboard....  (Read 13911 times)

beast44k

Re: Fingernails on a chalkboard....
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Anyone have a link to a video clip of this episode?

Bob Smalser

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
This one is much worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.  In this one their firearms "expert" advises a customer to alter and probably ruin a unique antique.

The episode is titled "Chummobile":  http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars/videos/playlists/full-episodes

A woman brings in a small, portable writing desk with a concealed gun built into a trap door in the desk front and a button trigger so a person seated in front of the desk would get shot when the button was pressed.  It reminded me of way back when the army paid in cash and lieutenant pay officers and their drivers went well-armed on payday, as a large company's cash payroll was 200 grand when a LT made 300 a month, his driver 85, and when you lost something it really did come out of your pay.  A Victorian-era, portable payroll desk custom built for a railroad, coal mine, or other business back when companies paid on the job site, the insurance industry was in its infancy and cash payrolls were prime criminal targets.

The gun was an antique, black-powder alarm gun like you find on old, 19th-Century catalogs.  It looked like it was brass.  They were made to screw to a window or door frame, were loaded with blanks, and were configured to trip when an intruder opened the window or door, frightening the intruder away.  Most were percussion, but this one was a .22 or .32 rimfire clearly designed for blanks, as it had a chamber but no barrel.  Loaded with a live round, however, it certainly would hit something only two feet away.  The 22 rimfire cartridge dates to Flobert’s BB Cap in 1845.

Not only could our “expert” not identify the firearm, he advised the owner to take it to a gunsmith to be “deactivated”, as it was likely “not a pre-1898 antique” and additionally could be considered a “concealed weapon” illegal to buy and sell without deactivation.  Y’all were right.  If he were a physician I'd apply to revoke his license.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:55:01 AM by Bob Smalser »

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:07 AM »
What amazes me the most is that anyone would take guns like that to a pawn shop to sell.Common sense should tell them that an old gun with ornate carving and engraving is more than likely to be something special and wouldn`t normally be found in a pawn shop.I catch myself screaming at the TV to "DON`T TAKE THE OFFER" but they always do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who screams at the TV about not taking a low-ball offer.  Strangely enough, a lot of the antique guns that "just happen" to show up in the pawn shop are listed on Tortuga's website. 

A lot of the show is scripted by the producers apparently.  Read on another board where some guy was curious about the shop and went there to check it out.  He was handed a French 1777 musket repo as he entered the shop and was asked if he wanted to be on the show.  NO, NO, THE SHOW IS REAL! (yeah, and a thompson center is a real hawken, too)  Mike

SuperCracker

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
Look at the credits. THE SHOW HAS WRITERS!

That pretty much says it all

greybeard

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
I must be retarded but I still kike the shaw. Espically Chumley & the "OLD MAN"

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Yeah - those "kids" are pieces of work, aren't they. 

blunderbuss

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
I worked many years for a major gun collector in Houston and even though the weapons were never fired he always wanted them to work. I ask him about that and he said they were worth more if they worked.