Author Topic: Help with identification please.  (Read 5570 times)

fuse

Help with identification please.
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Hi everybody. I have been referred here from another site. I'm trying to find as much info on a gun that has been in the family for years.

It has a Ketland lock

Eight sided barrel

Patch box

Back side

Star on Stock

Closer view

Overall length 58"

It has what appears to be "H Dennis" in script on the top of the barrel. Not sure about the H but it is Dennis.

Any help dating this, location of manufacture, maker, and any this else would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:20:27 PM by fuse »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Help with identification please.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
Can't help you, but if that tape stays on there very long it stands a good chance of ruining the finish. Use rubber bands or something else not sticky until you can have it properly restored.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

msmith

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Fuse, .Take a good picture of the Signature, ..Do you think the H may be a W??? Here is what I found, eight gunsmiths with the last name of Dennis, none of them with a first name starting with H, three of them did start with W, a William from LaGrange Missouri 1860, a a Walter, from Bridgeport Connecticut, 1865, and a William from Wilkes Barre Pa, 1818, which is way to early...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:57:12 AM by msmit »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »
Sellers ("American Gunsmiths") reports a
1. John Dennis in Bedford,NY  in 1870s ( consistent with this guns form, I believe)
.2. Also a E. B. Dennis In South Bedford, NY in the same time frame
3. Walter Dennis in Bridgeposr, CT in 1860s
4. William Dennis in LaGrange, MO

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:15:22 AM »
Dennis, William. gunsmith.1815-18, Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County; 1818-32, Montrose, Susque-hanna County. After 1832 he became an apothecary [Blackman, Susquehanna County, 325; tax]

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:17 AM »
The lock started life as a flintlock but I don't believe the gun did. It must have been old when it was used and this is probably the 2nd gun its been on, or it was never used in its original form and converted to be used on this gun.

fuse

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
I really appreciate the help.I have the tape off, got the door closed and given a coat of oil. I grabbed the best pic I could of the name.

I'll try a better camera soon. After the first part  and the four dots that are in a plus sign is the name Dennis.

Pic from the top

How the fresh oil made it look

And it's future home. This is a family gun that was brought up years ago and has been tucked in the closet at my grandma's for a few years. I told her I borrowed it to find out some info, while doing that I built a case so she can display it again. This info you guys are sharing is the icing on the cake. I really am thankful

I will do my best for a clearer copy of the name. If there is anything else I can do, let me know. And thank you for the info so far. I guess I have a few more hours here to do more looking!

msmith

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
The first letter looks like a W to me....So I would guess it is either Walter Dennis from Connecticut or William Dennis from Missouri..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:11:41 AM by msmit »

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
Is the underrib wooden?  Looks like it might be from the one picture.  If so, I understand from other posts on this site this is more associated with guns made in the New England region.

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Somewhere in New England ??

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
While the wooden under rib is a NE feature, or perhaps more accurately, a characteristic of the Worcester County Massachusetts makers. I don't see any other NE features.

That said, there was at least one maker of schutzen rifles in Hartford, Connecticut whose work did have a German flavor to it. I don't remember the name, and I wouldn't remember the guns, except I came across two nearly identical examples in two weeks once - one in excellent condition and another in extremely rusty condition. It was such an unusual experience that I've  remembered it 30 years. I don't believe either of these rifles had wooden under ribs so the connection is very weak at best.