Author Topic: Whats the best patch lube  (Read 31832 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Whats the best patch lube
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
At the range always spit. Works beautifully. For hunting I have mink oil or OX Bow greased patches. I've never really noticed a difference. Spit for shooting, something greasy for hunting.

54Bucks

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
 Hoppes #9 Plus for rangework, and Mink Oil(grease) for hunting here in Pa. where sub-freezing temps. are normal for our late Flintlock Season.
 Just want to remind those who use Hoppes #9 Plus: Don't leave a load in you gun for any extended period! Two years ago I did for our 3-day Bear Season. When I went to clean it after blowing (CO2) the charge out I found a serious rust ring right where the patched ball was. Good stuff when you clean up right after shooting,but not good for leaving it in the bore for any length of time. For that I use Mink Oil, which is actually a light grease.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:48 AM »
Target shooting- a bunch of us here have used WD 40 [ bulk,not spray ] for over 20 + years.
For hunting , bear oil, or double rectified deer tallow.

Daryl

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Bob- you're using WD40 for patch lube?  That's interesting. I've never thought of doing that but know it's supposed to be fish oil based- however is not water soluble and therefore probably does a poor job of softening fouling- mayb e?

As can be seen, there are a lot of good and best patch lubes.

Dan has a point about the Castor Oil. Pressure does not effect it- it is the highest anti-pressure oil there is, it's burning temps, higher than needed to burn off synthetics that converts it to a varnish - yet that doesn't happen inside of an engine, only on the outside. The time factor might eliminate it from burning at all- afterall, the ball is out pretty quickly- but I'm wondering about the oil left inside the bore softening the fouling, is that slowly building as varnish?

Hoppe's #9 Plus has changed over the years - 30 & 40 years ago it was very viscous, milky substance. Today, it is darker and has kerosene in it- but it's still water soluble, or rather will mix with water.  It is a good target lube - maybe not for hunting in damp areas. Taylor's test up here showed no rust for a week's loading- fresh, clean bore. It didn't wet the powder, either - yet 54Bucks got a rust ring - in Pa. When Taylor did the test, the humidity would have been between 20 and 40 - probably, but he brought the pistol barrel inside every night so the condensation would damp everything.  The barrel had spots on the outside, but not inside.  Knowing Taylor, that patch was sopping wet with the "Hoppe's Plus" when loaded. I don't know if it was new or old Hoppe's that Taylor used = new, I think.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
Castor oil has a flash point nearly identical to synthetic motor oil, a little higher than Amsoil 10w40 a little lower than Amsoil 15w40. 235C.
But this is a fraction of the flame temp of BP which something like 1800C

This said I am not a chemist. As layman I can't see any reason NOT to use it as a patch lube.
I wonder how amsoil would work as patch lube?
But motor oils have all sorts of additives than could produce problems at high temp.

I would not use wd-40. Its just light weight kerosene with some other stuff added but different strokes for different folks.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »
I tried 10/40 Amsoil back in the 70's - didn't work well - didn't pursue it's use, so I'm assuming it didn't soften fouling or something like that. At $10.00 to $12.00 per litre, it would be expensive lube, but cheaper than LHV Lube or SVLube.

The synthetics I referred to where those which mixed with alcohol. Amsoil (2 stroke oil) doesn't. Sig sells synthetics for mixing for the engines I spoke of.  With the Amsoil, it might be the Ester base that prevents mixing. Both Amsoil auto and 2 stroke oils use Ester's for their base.(whatever esters are)

BrownBear

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
He is an experienced accuracy shooter and seemed to have a handle on exactly what was happening - he said the lube was building up in the groove corners and would not wipe out - it had to be disolved and scrubbed out with a brush.

This seems to reflect my own experience---  not with shooting, but in finding sincere bargains on "shot out" guns and barrels.  I know several guys who are advocates of the stuff, along with "no petroleum" whatsoever.  They clean with water only and put a lot of effort into "seasoning" their bores.  Sooner or later I can buy their castoffs for scrap prices, clean them well, and restore accuracy.  BTW- in my experience it's hard to beat a brush preceded and followed by patches with brake pad cleaner from the auto store for getting rid of the gunk.  Last can I bought from NAPA was something like $4 a pint.

Daryl

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
Carb cleaner might work with bore butter 'fouling'.

BrownBear

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
I bet you're right.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
WD40 is great stuff when used for the purposes it was designed for.  It has a permanent place among my gun care products.  It's a 100% petroleum derivative oil and contains no fish or organic oils.   I'd be leery of using it for patch lube, however.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.