Author Topic: Minimum investment wood lathe for hornmaking  (Read 15265 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Minimum investment wood lathe for hornmaking
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »
What greeat ideas are outh there for a small lathe to turn horn plugs and spouts??   I don't want to invest several hundred bucks when I might make 2-3 horns per year

I have an old 1/2" drill press rig hat you mount an electric drill in. It allows y0ou to mount the drill horizontally, which is what I do when tapering a ramrod. 

Is there a chuck I  can buy that would fit in the drill so that it could hold 2-4" pieces of wood to make a turnd butt?

What is the cheapest thing out there that works??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Re: Minimum investment wood lathe for hornmaking
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
Tim, I would watch yard sales, flea markets, and Craig's list for used lathes. And estate auctions. I picked up an old Oliver lathe at a school district auction for $50 when they renovated the high school woodshop about five years ago. And I got a Craftsman lathe for my son at a yard sale for $35. Saw another Craftsman at an estate auction just this past Friday. Don't know what it went for, I don't need another.

Much better than using your drill press.

Dale H

Roy S.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »
I don't have a wood lathe, but I turn a good bit on my metal lathe lol.  The offer is there if you would like to use it.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
Thanks

Roy, That may be what it takes to get me off my duff to get up to Dahlonega to visit!  :-[  I'll start gathering some wood.

I will start looking for a small used lathe online. Don't get a chance to go to many yard sales these days.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Roy S.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
Come to think of it I have a freind near to where I live that has a wood lathe too....  I am pretty much always here.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
Tim,

Both Delta and General sell a really nice "mini wood lathe" for about $275 - maybe a tad less.  They are actually quite well made, take up very little space, and would do a great job on anything to do with a horn.  Gimme a few minutes and I'll look one up on the internet and post the link.  A friend of mine has one and it is really a nice little unit.  I love it so much I'm getting one myself to use for smaller stuff - such as horn making.  LEt me go find that link.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »
Okay - actually they call the newest version of it the "Maxi Lathe".  But it's a neat little machine, and does not take up much space.

I think this link will take you to it.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Hope that helps a bit.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »
 Dr. Tim
 I have a Rikon that I have used almost daily for three years for plugs,tips,bowls, pewter,etc... It has speeds from 450 to 3900 rpms, it is a manual process but takes only a minute or so. It has a 12" throw and #2 Morse taper, a 1" spindle with 8 tpi.  I think I got it on sale for $199. at Wood Craft. It has served me well.

Tim C.

John Longwitz

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 01:26:38 AM »
Dr. Tim,

'Case I didn't mention it when you were here a few weeks ago I have a Delta Midi-Lathe with extension.  Also lots of different hardwood pieces we could convert to plugs.

Haven't done too much with the Lancaster since you were over.  Got the lock about 99% inletted but goin' slow.  Barrel is still tight also but plan to proceed with caution there as well.

John in Doraville

TENdriver

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:13:28 AM »
Dr. Tim,

Consider one of the mini or midi lathes that are on the market.  There are some smaller lathes that are primarily for people who turn pens.  They are not too expensive and would be all you'd need for plugs etc.

Here is a link to the drill press attachment you originally asked about:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DPLATHE.html

Here are their mini lathes which will do much more with less frustration:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mini-lathes.html

Kevin H

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:15 AM »
Thanks Guys that is very Helpful!!  WoodCraft has the Rikon for $329 these days.  The General International looks like a winner but I couldn't find a price anywhere quickly tonoight. I will do some more looking tomorrow.  If I find one It will have to be small..just don't have the use nor space for a large one.

John, I think I will have to take you up on your offer!  I will collect my  plans and some wood and give you a call in the next few weeks!!  I would like to turn a horn shaper and then some Butt Plugs for a couple of horns I have now. One needs a turned tip as well for a Philadephia horn.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
  WoodCraft has the Rikon for $329 these days. 

$329 WOW!  Maybe I was wrong and it was 299.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:02:22 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »
Tim,
$120.....others larger and reasonably priced.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95607
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

D Smith

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
Tim, I agree with Dale. A lot of my favorite tools have been found at yard and estate sales.

I picked this up a few years ago for $30 - including the tools. Nothing fancy, but has seen a lot of use.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:12:18 PM by D Smith »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »
Doc., For small pieces like butt plugs, you can go to a plumbing supply, and get a threaded short piece of 1/2" O.D. or less galvanized pipe, and the flange to fit it.  Then cut a piece of hardwood to screw to the flange, and chuck it up and true it up.  then you would glue two or three pieces of typing paper to the face with white glue, and then the wood stock you want to turn, and let it dry thoroughly before you turn it.  the paper will hold it firm, but let you remove the finished piece with a chisel.  There, you have a poor mans lathe face plate for small stock pieces.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »
Bill You are a man after my own heart!!

Dave K, thanks, I hadn't thought to look at Harbor Freight. Thats a pretty good deal for the small amount of stuff I will do on it!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 06:16:06 AM »
Shop Fox has a small variable speed unit that cost me $134.95 last year. Some place from Utah I think. Do a Google - for what I do it fits the bill. I keep it in the shipping cardboard box and put it on my bench when I want to use it. The box also keeps the wood chips from going all over the place and makes cleanup a "snap". 8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 05:49:08 AM »
I would second the yard sales. I have seen several wood lathes already this year for under $100. I have access to a solid Powermatic wood lathe, but if you are only going to turn plugs just buy yourself one of the small mini lathes like has been suggested. I have seen these on sale at our local Menards for around $100, good deals.

Ohioan

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 02:17:40 AM »
You coul always build a spring pole lathe.  Not only would it be cheaper, it'd be period too!

Yard sales are great, but you have to go early.  There are "sale sharks" that try and hit the big sales before they even open.  They get a lot of the good stuff. 

My father bought a huge lathe at a yard sale for $25.  You can put up to a 4ft piece of wood in it.  And it was on a stand with wheels.  It's sweet.  good buy.

knappinman

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 02:40:46 AM »
I bought the harborfreight lathe in April on sale for $89.  It has a 1/2 horsepower motor so it is a little small for anything big but it works great for horn plugs and spout plugs, as well as powdermeasures and needle cases and other small stuff out of branches pruned from the yard it also has a one year warranty that you can buy for $20 which has no strings attached literally if I dont want the thing or would like a new one before April I just take mine in and they give me another no questions asked or they will let me use the money I purchased the original with to upgrade to a better model, cant argue with that kind of guarantee it has been great.  I plan on taking it in and getting a new one in March. 
Jason

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 05:10:49 AM »
I bought the harborfreight lathe in April on sale for $89.  It has a 1/2 horsepower motor so it is a little small for anything big but it works great for horn plugs and spout plugs, as well as powdermeasures and needle cases and other small stuff out of branches pruned from the yard it also has a one year warranty that you can buy for $20 which has no strings attached literally if I dont want the thing or would like a new one before April I just take mine in and they give me another no questions asked or they will let me use the money I purchased the original with to upgrade to a better model, cant argue with that kind of guarantee it has been great.  I plan on taking it in and getting a new one in March. 
Jason

Ithink I better stop by and see what they have. This sounds like it might be the right answer for me. Or else I will get the pipe and flange. Don't do enough to justifyyy much else.

Thanks
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA