Author Topic: Would like your thoughts on this rifle  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Would like your thoughts on this rifle
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:17 AM »
This rifle is signed "Wallingsford" with an eastern city (which I will mention after I hear from others). I never heard of this maker. The rifle has most of its original varnish and appears to have been converted from flint, but the filling of the holes in the lock plate puzzles me. Note the single lock bolt. Why 5 filled holes in the plate? I am sure this plate at one time had a front lock screw but not in this stock! So one of the hole is for the front lock screw. The main spring has been replaced so one hole is probably for the old main spring stake. Then one is probably from frizzen spring stake which would make three. What were the other two holes in the plate? How likely is it someone found an old flint lock/plate that fit this mortise absolutely perfectly? No evidence from the inside that the mortise has been fiddled with.

Also note the cutout for the drum, I assume it may have been fitted for a different bolster/drum and the current round drum may have replaced the original one used in the conversion to percussion. Looking at the corrosion around the drum/nipple this is an old conversion.

The barrel is 38 inches and the caliber is approx 38, appears to have been conned.

Anyone familiar with the supposed maker?
Dennis

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:49:13 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: Would like your thoughts on this rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:39:22 AM »
That is a neat old rifle. I can see why you have a lot of questions relative to the lock. Wish I could help you but I don't have a clue

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
Dennis,
Great rifle thanks for sharing with us. The lock was converted before the rifle was buildt. I have a very nice rifle that has the same sort of thing happening. The clearly modified flintlock with two side plate holes is pluged on the forward hole and only one hole holds the lock in the stock at the breach area. It stands to reason all those unused flint locks laying on the work bench, bought and paid for but customers want the percussion locks now. I can see where a smith would want to get his money out of the parts on the bench.  I Have no clue as to where the rifle is from. The patch box though has a familiar look to it with the edlivise flower on the finial.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Neat rifle. As far as the holes in the lock plate I had an original gun brought to me once with the same kinda thing. I figured the same: one from frizzen spring and one from main spring and the others where used with different main springs someone had made work. I did make use of one of the "new holes" myself and this allowed a large siler spring to work where I would have otherwise had to make one especially for that lock

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:09:45 AM »
Looks like West V-ginia to me. May be some older parts reused a few years later. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
The barrel is stamped "Wallingsford
                                  Harrisburg PA"
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson