Author Topic: Gun building CLA Show 2017 - Photos  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Marcruger

Gun building CLA Show 2017 - Photos
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:29 AM »
Hi Folks,

I attended my first CLA show this weekend.  I took a few photos of things that impressed me.  For me, it is usually the PERSON not the item.  It was super to see friends, browse the aisles, look at incredible work, and make my feet sore (the latter not so great).   I make no claims on being complete, I just snapped people and things that caught my eye.  I hope others will tag many more photos onto this posting.

The Lexington Convention Center last evening.  Where the show is held.  Beautiful by night. 

fb picture uploader
Mark Silver explaining how he creates magic.  :-)  I sure enjoyed the visit Mark.  Love that Vogler. 

Lovely work by Mark.  The European short rifle in the back and the George Vogler (Salem, NC style) in front are both breathtaking.  The Vogler prototype is on the back of the Bill Ivey book cover. 

Our very own Ed Wenger displaying the intricate carving and engraving he is well known for. 

Ed Wenger's table.....

Some ridiculously beautiful curl on a rifle at the show. I am sorry I failed to catch the maker's name. 
Moderators Note: This rifle was built by William Slusser for his wife.

Delightful historian, master craftsman, super rifle builder and great friend Bob Hill.  To my dismay I realized I failed to get a photo of Bob at the CLA show, so this one from the NC State Fair will have to suffice.  Bob does a gun building display at the fair each year in the Village of Yesteryear.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:12:48 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Marcruger

Re: Gun building CLA Show 2017 - Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »

Pistols from the President's Display this year.  Some unbelievable work from this year and years past.  Check out the Brennan pistols! 

A close up of the Mark Silver European rifle. 

uploading a image
Did anyone say silver wire? 

Last, but by no means least, Jim Parker of Calvary Longrifles (Alabama).  I was blessed to get to meet Jim after hearing so much about him.  He turns out to be a total GENTLEMAN, and very humble. He spent quite a bit of time with me explaining many things.  Meeting Jim was a highlight of a wonderful show for me.  Oh yes, Jim can certainly build an eye-popping rifle.  :-) 

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
Thank you for posting the Pictures. I really enjoyed them. There were some really beautiful Works of art. Do you have anymore Pictures of the cased pistols?

Best regards
Rolf

ghost

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks for posting! A lot of excellent work!

Treebeard

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the pictures as I was not able to make the show this year.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
So many super talented craftsmen. Awe inspiring. Thank you for th photographic tour Marcruger.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »
I looked Rolf, but do not have any more of the cased pistols.  I do not know why I missed photographing those.  Check under the Contemporary section for KY-Flinter's wonderful photo narrative.  I think he caught a few.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
 the gun makers keep getting better and better every year.  All the ones you show ar super good. 20 years ago there were very few as good as them. There is no body better in the world to day at wire work tha n/Mark silver in my opinion.  The wire work on his gun is so complex it seems near impossible. To put wire that close together without the wood coming out is a real trick.  He could show me a few trick for sure. Ed Wagner is super also.
  One of my older guns is at that show. It should be at Jim Chambers display.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:40:04 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
That wire is something,perfection.After seeing work like that and from the others/as well as some of the folks here on the ALR site I'm almost embarrassed by my build.Some real talent out there

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
Good pics. Thanks for posting
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:26:15 PM »
Those are some beautiful firearms for sure!  :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 11:54:24 PM »
Hi Jerry,  I agree about Mark Silver and Ed Wenger with their wire work.  Ed has taken some classes from Mark.

Mark was sharing with me that the key to that wire work is cut and install one piece at a time, so the first wire piece reinforces the wood for the second cut.  Some of the remaining wood between the wires was unfathomably tiny. 

Ed had some lovely wire work on display as well in his European style guns. 

They are setting quite a high bar these days. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »
 ;D ;D... Thanx for the pix, Marc .... was good to meet you and so many others from this group at the show... I believe we all can agree what a great time we all had ... !!! ... so  much to see,... so much talking to do ... I didn't over-spend...kinda glad that Cody Yoho didn't price his excellent Woodbury rifle to me ...!! ...did get that HH triggerguard from Mike ... now to get HH to build a rifle around it ...(wish me luck) ...All in all a really great week-end ... will be back ... !!!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 02:52:16 AM »
Our Brother from Cades Cove,

It was great seeing you at the show.  I am envious of your beard!   :-)  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:12 AM »
Jerry...., I saw the gun you mentioned.  It was beautiful!  The gold inlay signature was one of the best I've ever seen, superb.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
Thanks Mark- Those pictures are REALLY Special!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »
Awesome show, second your comment about the sore feet though. Lots of walking and too much to see. I felt like a blind dog in a meat house with all the neat stuff. Even got to see a few rifles I have built over the years on display by other folks, that made my trip. By the way, Mark Silver is teaching a class on wire inlay and metal forming next year at the Gunsmithing Seminar in Bowling Green. Anyone who has ever taken one of his classes knows what a great and patient teacher he is. For those that want to learn from the best, I would start saving pennies now, Terry Leeper said you can start reserving spots in the classes now. Best investment you will ever make to improve your gunmaking skills and a lot of fun as well.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
 There's quite the story on the H.H. trigger guard.
 When we we're at the ALR food court meeting Frank House walked by so I showed it to him for verification. He said yep that's Herchels handy work."He stamps everything" But being extra careful Cades an I saw Herchel so Cades an I showed it to him.
  Herchel asked if I thought about selling it. Should be on one of his rifles
  Gave them a price. Never saw a fidler move so fast for his wallet.
  Ya all would of thought he was playing " Devil went down to Georgia" With Charlie Danials.
  Cades is a great guy.  Real happy it's staying in the south.
  Hope he an Herchel can figure something out. Besides I have one more. But I'm keeping that one... Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 11:28:31 PM »
 :D :D... Didn't think you noticed, Mike ... !!! (HaHaHa) .... you probably could have gotten Hershel & me into a bidding war ... !!!.. thanx again.... will let you know what she goes on ... !!!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 03:03:40 AM »
  Cades would appreciate that. The non House guard is going on a Soddy by guess who? Stay in touch my friend... Oldtravler

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:07 AM »
Was definatly good to meet all y'all. The triggerguards were awesome. If I thought I could still grow my beard like Fiddlers' I would. Then I would have to put some red in it,like it once was. I had a Devil Anse length beard back in 70's that was a real crum catcher !!! Had too much fun with it.

Glad the guard is stayin south also. Best regards, Dave F 8)