Author Topic: Cherrywood Hawkens ?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

Cherrywood Hawkens ?
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
I'm not super concerned with authenticity, but I was wondering if there were ever any Hawkens produced with a cherry wood stock?
I've got a dandy piece of cherry, I was going to build a southern style rifle out of, but I'm partial to the Hawken.
I've read a few books on Hawkens, but have never seen any referance to cherry.
Thanks
Jim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Cherrywood Hawkens ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
I have never read any reference to cherry being used for stock wood - maple and walnut being preferred.  Perhaps some rifles for the local trade might have used cherry.  It doesn't matter.  Make your rifle out of cherry.  Unless you're doing a bench copy, cherry would be fine.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »
 I am  just starting on a full stock Hawkens in cherry. My son picked up a nice figured blank at Dunlap Woods ( he lives about a half mile from Dunlap), and wanted the hawkens built . May not be period correct, but should make a nice rifle.   

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
I'm not super concerned with authenticity, but I was wondering if there were ever any Hawkens produced with a cherry wood stock?
I've got a dandy piece of cherry, I was going to build a southern style rifle out of, but I'm partial to the Hawken.
I've read a few books on Hawkens, but have never seen any referance to cherry.
Thanks
Jim

I don't think cherry was a common stock wood outside New England.
Considering the use they were put to the Hawken Mountain rifle was best stocked in maple though walnut was common too.
While its possible to stock a Hawken in Cherry or Ash or Hickory my question would be "why bother?".
I would save the Cherry for something that it "fits" a little better.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jim Curlee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »
Maybe I'll still do the southern rifle, with the cherry.
I have a sawmill, and am cutting some crotchwood walnut, will be doing some stumps in the near future.
I'm guessin they didn't use crotch figure much either, but if I have to make a stock out of walnut, it may as well be out of some cool walnut.
I finally have some really nice parts, so would like to make a special rifle.
As for following a plan, not a chance, I like to fumble through a project. LOL
Jim

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
Cherry was used as a stock wood in most parts of the US....occasionally.  It was certainly most common on New England guns, but I have seen it on Southern rifles, and now and then in the Midwest.  Out of over 200 Illinois-made rifles, that are pretty much contemporary with Hawken, I have just one that is stocked in cherry. It's a DAVIS & HURST rifle made in Paris, Illinois.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:04:21 AM »
Then again, if you up and decide to sell that cherry stock for a reasonable fee, you can always send me a P-M.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.