Author Topic: ? about a stock on TOW  (Read 3594 times)

JB2

? about a stock on TOW
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
It's a Hawken stock, in their seconds/returns/blemished section and has a decent knot into the lock mortise from the off side.  I'm not planning on buying it, but could something like this be fixed?  If so, how?  Seeing this thing got me to thinking about sawing out my own blank, and what to do if something unplanned, like a knot, showed up. 

Offline bgf

Re: ? about a stock on TOW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »
I was hoping you'd get a response, as that is a troublesome looking knot, but someone could get a nice stock if they knew how to fix it and needed a lefty Hawken.  My first thoughts would either be to seal it up with some kind of epoxy or knock it out and plug it.  It seems like it could seriously weaken the stock where it is if you didn't do something.  Just guesses; I hope you get some more knowledgeable answers.

Bennypapa

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Todays wood glue (plain old yellow wood glue) will make a joint that is stronger than wood. Depending on the size of the knot and the integrity of the wood surrounding it  and its orientation through the grain of the stock you might be able to plug it with no trouble. Just depends.
Now, how would it look??? Depends on the size of the plug and what it could be hidden behind and how you plan to finish the rifle.

Either way I would investigate using a tapered plug for a tight fit or using a dutchman. $#*!, if the knot were in the right place you could even make an inlay to cover the plug.

If it were to be hidden behind a butt plate or mostly removed by a patch box, no problem. If it were in the stock of a rifle that were to finished in a way the would hide it like a trade rifle with painted on stripes, OK
When it goes through the lock mortice as the stock in question does... I'm not sure I would mess with it if it was free.

My 2 cents.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
From what I can see, you're "saving" maybe $30 - $40   After you've put all the time into finishing your gun, will it be worth the saving?  Not for me.   

westerner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
I just looked at that knot.  Why that aint nothin!   ???   Drill the knot out and glue a plug in there. If it cracks in ten or twenty years it'll have a little more character.   If it breaks when you finish off a bad guy, like in the Kentuckian, you shouldnt be doing that anyway.  Thats what firewood is for. 

Joe.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:48:10 AM »
Save a few more $$$ and buy a good stock.  The expence and work to make a usable stock out of this one will far outway the savings.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot