Author Topic: Flintlock Smooth bore fowler  (Read 10654 times)

Harris

Flintlock Smooth bore fowler
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »
Fellers im getting ready to build a smooth bore fowler in the next week or two i have a John Armstrong style rifle im trying to finish up right now. The fowler is going to be my personal rifle i really like the idea that i can hunt small game with it or large game. I just wanted to see if anyone on here hunts with a fowler and what kind of hitting distance you get loaded with a 62 caliber round ball say for deer hunting. Thank you all and for your time.
                                                            Ken  Harris.

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Flintlock Smooth bore fowler
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
I don't know the answers to your questions but I'm interested to see them. I'm in the same situation. Just finishing a .40 rifle and have parts on hand to build .62 smooth (oct- round). I'd love to take a turkey with it someday!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

northmn

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »

Got three grouse last year with my two fowlers, ones a 20 bore smooth rifle, 42 inch barrel and the other a 12 bore with a 31 inch barrel.  The 20 bore shoots a fairly tight roundball group at about 4 inches at 75 yards.  Being a smooth rifle configuration it has rifle sights.  If you shoot competition you can not have a rear sight.  The 12 bore is fairly light weight and I prefer to stay with shot as a round ball does get your attention when touched off.  if you turkey hunt with one you may want to look into jug choking.

DP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
I hunt deer with my .62 smooth bore and it prints 3-4" groups at 50 yards with 75 gr of FFFg.  In GA that is enuf range.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
You should certainly get deer hunting accuracy to 50 or 60 yards, though I like a little heavier charge - 90 gr 2F in a .62.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
I will shoot out to about 75 yards with my 62 loaded with 65 grains of fffg. 50 is more comfortable though. My dad got a nice tom last year with his at 30 yds. I thought that was a good poke for shot

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:07:41 AM »
What is jug choke?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Longknife

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
David, A tapered "jug" about 1 1/2 inch long is cut into the barrel about 1 inch from the muzzle, .010 for imp cyl, .018 for mod, and .025 for full. The Shot column expands to fill this "jug" and then is compressed (choked) when it re-enters the bore at the muzzle. IT WORKS TOO!!!>>>Ed
Ed Hamberg

northmn

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
Do you fellers think it would be a good idea for me to also install a rear sight on this fowler as well since im going to be hunting deer? I have built a good many longrifles this will be my first fowler.

Ken  H.

If you are going to just hunt with the fowler a rear sight is great, but if you are going to compete then they are not allowed.  Many originals were built with rear sights of sorts but those regulating matches do not want to see Redfield Olympic peeps on fowlers from what I gather.  I use an Express sight which is a wide V with no notch cut such that the front bead sets on top of the V.  I have broken clay pidgeons with this combination, so wing shooting is possible.   A rear sight will likely give you more range.  While there are those that shoot very well without a rear sight,  I suggest that under hunting conditions a rear sight would simplify things. It takes a lot more practice to shoot without a rear sight. Again they are not permitted in smooth bore competition.

DP