Author Topic: j long  (Read 7734 times)

omark

j long
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:34:55 AM »
does anyone have any info on jacob long, gunsmith in mid 1800's, possibly in or near pittsburgh???           would also appreciate any pics of known guns from him.      thank you
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:39:02 AM by omark »

Offline ptk1126

Re: j long
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
There was a Joseph Long in Snyder County, Pa who occasionally signed his rifles "J Long". If this is
the one you are looking for, there was an article on his guns "The Long Look" in Muzzle Blasts, July 1973.
He was born about 1799 and died in 1872.

Paul

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
Many Joe Long rifles exist today. I am aware of several that have been for sale in the last two years, had 3 myself. The best pictoral represenation I think is in Edith Coopers Book, "The Kentucky Rifle and Me."
Copies still available. She has a full chapter on Joes work and presents pictures of more than 10 as I recall.
Hurricane.

omark

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
thanks for the replies, guys. but it is jacob. my exwifes family has a rifle that was handed down through the family that is signed j long. my exmother in laws maiden name is long. they also have a handwritten ledger that starts out jacob long, his book. it was purchased by him in pittsburgh on the 1st of feb 1837. it has many entries about selling ramrods, caps, freshing out barrels etc. it also has entries about doing farm work for neighbors such as husking corn etc. it was written in in pencil so is very difficult to read. at a later date some one else started making entries as attested to by the very different writing. i have pictures of the rifle that i will try to post if i get the time and can figure out how to do it. i was wondering if he was the son/grandson or other relative of joseph or john.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
Pictures would be helpful. The "J. Long" rifles ( Synder Co) that I referred to are almost identical in style and furniture, thus we might be able to clarify the issue. If you email me the pictures I will post them.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:50:27 PM by hurricane »

Offline nord

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
Joe Long - Snyder Co.

Thought you might be interested.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

omark

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
hurricane has kindly offered to post the pics for me. i guess im not smart enough to do it :D the particulars on the rifle are 35 cal, 29" long tapered about 15/16 to13/16, goulcher lock, j long stamped on top flat. of interest, also is the muzzle is flared from pounding slugs into it, flared like the end of a used chisel. i really hadnt expected this much interest, help, and i do appreciate it. 8)

famouseagle

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »
Whisker's "Arms Makers of Pennsylvania" lists two Jacob Longs.  One is listed as a Gunsmith in 1825, Penn Twp., Snyder County.  The other is shown as b. 1808 and is shown as a gunsmith in Allegheny Twp. Westmoreland Co. 1835-1867.

Whisker's "Arms Makers of Western PA" repeats the above info on Jacob (b. 1808) and cites the 1850 Census that shows him as a gunsmith (age 42).  His wife was Elizabeth (age 41).  Allegheny Twp. Westmoreland County.

omark

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »
thank you famous eagle, ill look into that

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »
Nice Joe Long there, Nord!
Maybe others could post some pics of they're rifles?
John
John Robbins

don getz

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57:53 AM »
Nord.....Is that gun signed, or how is it signed?   It has the general look of a Joe Long, but lacks a lot of the classic features of a
normal Joe Long.....I've looked at a lot of them, and this one is just "different".   Joe worked and lived in Beaver Spings, Snyder
county, and worked basically between 1820 and 1860, and is buried in the old cemetery in Beaver Springs.  I know he had several
children, and it seems that he did have a son that moved out to the Pittsburgh area, can't recall his name, but I think he also built
some rifles.  I have just finished some restoration on a Mose Specht rifle, made in Beavertown, Pa., in the mid 1800 period.....
beautiful typical snyder country rifle, about 16 inlays, nice patch box, fancy toe plate, fancy cut out patchbox.  One thing that struck
me as unique if that it has exactly the same trigger guard as my Joe Long rifle.  Since they only lived about 3 miles from each other,
apparently he got it from Joe.  The guard on your rifle appears to be a typical Joe Long guard.....they were different from all of the
other Snyder county gunbuilders.  I really like his guns since I grew up about a mile from where Joe lived. and I know from some of
the ledgers that my grandfather kept that he went hunting with Joe occassionally...............Don

Offline nord

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:03:23 AM »
Don -

"JL" in script. Dr. Fred (Hurricane) sent me a photo of a Joe Long and there's little question of the similarity. While my gun has some very interesting features somewhat uncommon to Joe, I believe it's unquestionably his.

B.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

don getz

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »
Nord.....One thing I have found in looking a old muzzleloaders, and try to attribute them to a certain builder.....you can never say he
never did this, or he always did that.   One thing on your gun is the side plate....even in Edith Coopers book, she made the statement
that the football sideplate is almost as good as his signature.   The ones show in her book all have that sideplate.  On the other hand,
years ago Bill Kennedy restored a fabulous Joe Long for the Muncy Historical Society, and it is on diaplay in their museum.  I seem to recall
that it may have a side plate similar to the one you have....I could be wrong on this.   Another thing on your gun that disturbs me is the patch
box.  It is rather "crude" compared to most of those I have seen on Joe Longs.  One other thing that I have noticed is the line that runs from
the top of the wrist back thru the buttstock, and defines the comb, is normally a rather sharp cut.....on yours it appears to be just mulled over.
Hopefully you can make it down to our show in Lewisburg in February.....if you do, bring it along, we'll "critique" it.....I am sure there will be some
Joe Long rifles at the show.  Hope to see you there............Don

Offline nord

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
Don -

I expect I'll be at Lewisburg. Joe and I will look forward to seeing you.

B.