Author Topic: Seniors moment.re Berks gun finished  (Read 57281 times)

greybeard

Re: Seniors moment.re Berks gun finished
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
Thanks a bunch folks.    Going to try and shoot it this week and will post a couple of  pics even if they are'nt all that great. Should be interesting as I have only shot perhaps 20 rounds in the last 17 years.   Will see I guess.
     Cheers    Bob

Offline bgf

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »
Greybeard,
I like the way it came out, esp. the finish.  If I understand you did red dye and then 3x vinegar/iron.  I did it in reverse (vinegar then dye stain) because I liked what the vinegar and iron did in terms of figure and tone (darker) once dye was added over it but could never get any really color except gray out of the vinegar and iron by itself.  Did you have the same experience or was this something you learned long ago and do often?  Either way, I like it a lot.

Daryl

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:10 AM »
You could aways save it's "non-used/nonfired form" for a week and I'll break "IT" in for you at Hefley.  HA! - that was originally worded differently - good thing I changed it.

Just kidding, Bob. Have at 'her'. She's yours to break in.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:50:32 AM by Daryl »

greybeard

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »
You could aways save it's "non-used/nonfired form" for a week and I'll break "IT" in for you at Hefley.  HA! - that was originally worded differently - good thing I changed it.

Just kidding, Bob. Have at 'her'. She's yours to break in.
Thanks Daryl;   My friend Derek Pritchard(the one in the kilt) has begged me to go with him but I just don't travel to good anymore. I should send the gun to hefley with Derek and get you to "wring it out" for me. At least you could do that thingy you do on the muzzle with your tumb and emmery!!!
I'm going to try and go to the range tomorrow. Will post some pics of the results no mater how bad the targets look
Cheers    Bob

Daryl

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:14 AM »
Sad to hear you won't be there.

I'll take some emery with me.

greybeard

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »
Greybeard,
I like the way it came out, esp. the finish.  If I understand you did red dye and then 3x vinegar/iron.  I did it in reverse (vinegar then dye stain) because I liked what the vinegar and iron did in terms of figure and tone (darker) once dye was added over it but could never get any really color except gray out of the vinegar and iron by itself.  Did you have the same experience or was this something you learned long ago and do often?  Either way, I like it a lot.
Thanks BGF. The Vinegaroon was really strong and as you say . it looked kind of dark greyish.
was conserned till I hit it with BLO and it turned very dark which is what I was after. The 123 mix I buffed in with the heel of my hand till  near dry then rubbed the whole thing back with fine pummice with a felt pad & BLO.
Cheers    Bob

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
Grey,
Nice job. Even  more impressive that you took pictures as it progressed. I would like to see more people do so.  I would use it to kill a Wisconsin deer if you want!?

What is your next project? I might suggest a Steve Bookout   Southern style rifle!

Cheers

Tim

greybeard

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:46 AM »
Thank you Tim. I'm not sure about another build. I was away from it for about 16 years and a nephew saw one of my guns and asked me to build him one so I did and it sparked my interest some. I have since done 2 more last one being the Berks gun and I notice the quality of the art work has slipped some (carving & engraving).  At 77 I am finding it a little bit harder to make my hands do what my mind and eyes want them to do. Perhaps for another build I would opt for a plain gun like a Hawken or southern style gun but the fun for me is doing some carving & engraving..  Time will tell.  
     Cheers     Bob
PS. Our local gun show is today so am going down with the Berks gun for opinions. Kinda sad that 30 years ago we had great shows with awards and now they have turned into flea markets. Still lots of gun nuts but I have even seen one fellow selling those chattering false teeth!!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:48:23 PM by greybeard »

greybeard

« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »
Great looking rifle! We are ready for a range report now..........
[/Thaquot
Thanks Eric   Here is the range report tdate
Spent two weeks dealing with the medic .
,Biopsies , ultrra sound ,Blood work and came down with a real nasty cold that pulls me down ecause of COPD. 
Finally on Wed got to the range and she says BANG real good so thats a bonus,.   Shooting bout 3 inches low and smart me took a file along.  Spent some quality time with file and got it to close horizontal amd 1 inch right.  I was playing out so opted to do a 3 shot group  to post here.  Fired
First one 1 1/2 inches to right. Next ball  down and NADA/   OOOOps/    No powder/  No puller.  No point showing the target with it's lonesome hole.
I cant get it done this week so will be firsr next week.
If I thimk hard enough I vagely recall doing that once before ,  maybe twice  !!!
The bench shoothng is hard on me  cause of diminished lung  capaticy.  Tough to stop the breath midway to take the shot.  Might have to find younger eyess    Once I have a target posted I am going to explain my scientific aproach a take to my double set triggers.
Cheers till next time//     Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
Bob, we're in no hurry.  Recover what health you can, and go slowly.  Congratulations on a most successful conclusion to this build.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

MAC57

« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
Thank you for sharing your latest build. I really like the carving and the rest of course. Great job!
Mark

greybeard

« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
Well it has been a long time coming but as of this week  I have a target from the Berks county gun to show you. The gent in the pic is a very good friend who now owns the gun. We are both pleased with the results so far.
[

tumblr image hosting
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:01:59 AM by greybeard »

Bernard

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 04:37:50 AM »
Nope. Yer not alone. I have been working on a left hand flint rifle for about 4 years. Even made the Brass 54 cal left hand gain twist 40 inch swamped barrel. A left hand brass plate Chambers lock with trigger guard and butt plate castings from Reeves I got off to a great start. Then a move that necessitated moving my shop and zoning troubles with the town and business pressures blocked any creative juices that even tried to surface.
I've gotten back at it during the last couple of months after buying a book by John Schippers. Great book by the way for anyone that wants to understand everything about engraving and decorating an early American long rifle.
I hope to have this rifle finished in about 4 weeks and will post some pics for your evaluation.
Take heart pick up those tools and start. The fun will come.     

greybeard

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
Nice to hear fron another Canadian.   Thanks fer responding.   Bob

greybeard

Re: Seniors moment.re Berks gun
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2017, 03:51:11 AM »
Bob; Followed the whole process and have enjoyed the build and the comments. Wood work looks great. I'm eager to see completed rifle. Jim & Alyce.

greybeard

« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2017, 03:54:57 AM »
photo bucket have my pics and I am gradually trying to  replacs most if them but it is slow going. Bob

greybeard

« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2017, 06:13:57 AM »

inally target  pics.  Bob