Author Topic: 2nd gun, new pics  (Read 11925 times)

ironwolf

2nd gun, new pics
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
Finished this one back in '06.  Just now getting the photos up.
Feel free to critique the ole girl.

Thanks ya'll,  Kevin W

(Admin. Note:  Cleaned up a couple html errors to some of the photos.  L. Luck)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:30:52 AM by L. Luck »

karwelis

Re: 2nd gun, new pics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »
looks great! well done.

karwelis

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »
I like it, too.
The stepped lower buttstock line and the carving look Germanic.  With the English lock, it makes for an interesting fusion of elements.
Good job.
Larry Luck
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:05:19 AM by L. Luck »

Bushy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:05:35 AM »
Looks real good.  Lock inletting and the lock panels look perfect.  Like the fact you did some carving and kept it toned down.  What did you use for the finish?  Is it for sale?  I be proud to be able to build a flinter like yours.  I'd shoot the heck out of her and be happy to clean.  Whats the cal?  I think an ironed mounted rifle still outshines them all.  Take good care of her and enjoy.

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Amigo)Stay Well and Shoot Often

Offline mountainman

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:32:03 AM »
I love that wood, especially behind the cheekpiece area, around the carvings. Nice!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
Really has the right look to it. It's good.  To be really picky, be bolder with your decoration. Beavertail around tang is a little short,  beavertail at rear of lock panel a little skiny, molding in front a little short. 

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:03:16 AM »
All in all nice work. I like those stepped wrist Va guns, but has anyone else noticed that the wrist seems flow into the butt at a weird angle in the second photo? It may be the photo, but something in the wrist to butt transition doesn't look quite right.

I do like the way the step in the wrist is understated. Many stepped wrists are waaayy too pronounced.

Good luck,
J.D.

Buffler Razz

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »
Very nice pictures and I really like the look. The close up of the butt plate and rear of patchbox cover helped ease my anxiety of just how to fit mine up.

ironwolf

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 04:17:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. This kind of feedback is why I love this board. This one was so much better than my first that I can't believe I learned that much in between. And I learned it here.
I did have the intention of the German/British meld. The stock was a pre-carve some suppliers call a "transitional Kentucky", that I got on the cheap (bird peck) and reworked somewhat. Thats why the angle of the butt looks so different. It's a .54, weighs 9.5 Lbs., and shoots like a dream.
 And no Bushy, it's not for sale, sorry. The wood was done with AF and finished with "Linspeed". The metal is done in the Mark Elliott, Iodine over cold blue method. The easiest finish I've ever done.
My biggest "oops" was hogging off too much on one side of the lower forestock, which resulted in a "slabish" look.
Bill, what you said about boldness, I'll take to heart. I started seeing those things soon after the build. Thanks for pointing that out, thats why I'm here.

YMHS Kevin

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:40:35 AM »
Ironwolf,
Great looking work.  I've only seen two of your guns and they both have a very soft appealing look to them. 
Any chance you might post pics of that southern gun you did a while back.  I sure would like to see it again.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

ironwolf

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:40:15 AM »
   Thanks Ken, I'll see if I can scratch up those shots of #1.  Although It's hard to even look at that first gun at this point in my apprenticeship.

Kevin W.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »
Your handling of the breech/tang/lock molding/sideplate area is masterful.
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
Your handling of the breech/tang/lock molding/sideplate area is masterful.

And the handling of the wrist to buttstock transition went well, especially considering the restrictions of a precarve. And I do like that vestigial stepped toe. IMHO, that is very well done.

All in all, a pretty nice gun.

J.D.

Jim Thomas

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:04:02 AM »

Bill, what you said about boldness, I'll take to heart. I started seeing those things soon after the build. Thanks for pointing that out, thats why I'm here.

YMHS Kevin

Don't feel that you are alone when it comes to finishing a rifle and then seeing those things.   It's not a bad thing.   I think that's part of what drives the desire to keep building.   

lew wetzel

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:09:36 AM »
really like the iron furniture.great looking rifle and some nice carving.she looks like a real tack driver.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »
I love iron furniture. That is a wonderfull looking musket. I hope I can do that good some day.

Ronnie

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
   very nice Kevin.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »
Kevin- that is a very nice rifle indeed.  I could see myself shooting a similar rifle, some day.  That is a hunting rifle.

ironwolf

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
 I built this one to hunt, Daryl. The Getz .54 has a 1:72 twist, likes a hot load and is VERY accurate. A very sweet shooter indeed.
Kevin W.