Author Topic: J.N. Scotts 12 ga. Double  (Read 7294 times)

longrifle

J.N. Scotts 12 ga. Double
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
I have a 12ga. double hammer type muzzle loading shotgun that my grandfather gave to me that was given to him by his grandfather. there are very few markings on the gun except J.N. Scotts on the locks. On the rib it marked Fine Twist Damascus. and the bottom of the barrels under the stock is marked 12ga. would any one have a clue as to when it might have been made ?  My grandfather told me that his grandfather gave it to him when he was 16yrs.old that was in 1900 and he said the gun was old when his grandfather gave it to him. I will to try to get a few photo's to post later. Thank You 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:13:35 PM by longrifle »

Offline nord

Re: J.N. Scotts 12 ga. Double
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »
Probably not a question that would generally be asked here at ALR as shotguns are a very different breed of firearm. This being said...

I expect your shotgun will bear proof marks hidden by the stock on the underside of the tubes. Most likely Belgian proofs, but Birmingham is possible. Generally the Birmingham guns are a bit better than their Belgian counterparts but there is no difference in value to speak of.

This is a utility piece in all respects. It was made for the trade and is not highly prized by collectors unless in as-new condition, however there is (Maybe "was" is a better term considering economic conditions.) a market for these old pieces as display decorations.

The muzzle loading shotgun in more or less modern configuration arrived here in the US just prior to the Civil War. It existed in Europe a few years prior but it's safe to merely say c. 1860. A decade later these pieces were rapidly being displaced by breach loaders and by 1880 they were almost forgotten.

My guess based on what little you were able to share is that you have a rather late Belgian muzzle stuffer. Had the piece been manufactured a year or two later it would have been a breach loader. 

You have an interesting bit of history in this shotgun. Whether it never did anything but protect the local chicken house or whether it provided much needed protein for a rural family, the gun served a purpose. Value will be found in family history and the connection it has with this old grocery-getter. Enjoy the piece and value it for what it is.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
If this gun was made on this side of the pond it will surely have proof marks ,an image will help.As for the name my records show no Scotts but there are plenty with the name of Scott working in Birmingham and the provincial towns.
Feltwad

longrifle

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply's. I must stand corrected a bit though I went back and looked it again the gun is marked with J.L. SCOTT. My great great grandfather carried this gun in the Civil War. I knew that it had to be at least 1862 because that was when he went off to the war. I will try to get photos later today if you guy's are interested.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:00:09 PM by longrifle »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »
There are 2 J. Scotts given with no middle initial.

John Scott. Birmingham, 1828-1852
James Scott, Birmingham, 1840-1858

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson