Author Topic: Tom Curran's gun on the blog  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Don Getz

Tom Curran's gun on the blog
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Tom......neat gun, love the architecture.   I like the way you added a piece of wood to the bottom of the butt, like the
original you copied.   Looks like an early gun, any idea of who made it and where it was made?..........Don

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Tom Curran's gun on the blog
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Tom and I have talked a lot about the original gun as he's shared pictures and plans with me.  I noted several things about the gun that might provide clues as to where it was made, but there's the possibility it's a gun with some new and some old parts, making for a complex story.

The buttstock is very unusual in architecture.  I call it "the dolphin" as it is a little inflated looking and the way the comb comes down to the wrist reminds me of a dolphin nose. The cheekpiece viewed from underneath looks exactly like the cheekpiece of the Brass Barreled Rifle.  The way the cheekpiece slopes to the buttplate is effective and simple; easily accomplished with a spokeshave.  We speculate this was a rifle made during the Revolutionary War for that purpose.  The sideplate is identical to a walnut stocked Virginia rifle in RCA volume 2, if I recall #124 or nearby.  The tang carving is generic with the possibility of Reading influence.  The lock is unusually fine quality.  Of all these features, the similarity of the cheekpiece to the BBR and the sideplate strike me the most.  Whether the sideplate on this gun or the Virginia rifle are both "first use" on both guns, I don't know.  But the sideplate seems more than coincidence to me, and sideplates can often be signatures.

It looks to me to be a strong, bold, well-executed plain rifle made quickly and efficiently.  Something like a Don Getz rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
 The pictures are so small I can't pick up the details....any larger pics?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
I don't know why they came out so small. It must be the way I sent them to the Blog.

Don, I don't have a clue who made this gun. It was purchased from a collector of NY guns back in the 1960's , and has been in NY ever since. That does not mean it's a NY gun, but it sure has an odd look to it for a PA rifle.

The original lock is bridled, which is no sure means of dating a lock. Locks of the quality could be 1750 to 1790.

Tom

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:24:45 PM by Acer »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline art riser

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »
If you can send us larger files we will change them out...  Contemporary Makers

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
Wow, Art, that is very kind of you. Say no more!
Thanks a bunch,
Tom

Offline louieparker

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
Acer

As a friend of mine told me, " I know you are not supposed  to covet , but I sure would like to own that lock ."      Outstanding   .....        LP

Trkdriver99

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:03 AM »
I would like to have that lock too. Would look good on my planned rifle with my old .40 cal barrel and maple blank I have.

Ronnie

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:12 AM »
Note the condition of the screw slots. Crisp, clean filing around the removable pan moulding. Work like this is a joy to behold. You can't build stuff like this without the right tools and experience. It strikes me odd that such a fine lock ends up on such a folkey gun.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:54:38 AM by Acer »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
One of the unusual features of that gun is the comb, which Rich commented on, calling it a dolphin head.  That was one
thing that kind of jumped out at me, but the gun overall is great, somewhat the profile I have been using on some of
my later barn guns.   As for the lock you used, I have the same lock and plan to use it on my CS barn gun............Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Totally cool rifle. I especially like the sideplate treatment.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
I like it. Pretty gutsy project to take on.  ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
Gutsy? Look who's talking.  ;D

I really enjoy the odd and unusual, yeah, I'm setting myself up for a ribbing, but seriously, guns like this give a different perspective into what we assume the past to have been. This gun is outside the 'norm', whatever that is. Or what is considered beautiful, graceful, high art. It's a down and dirty working gun, with a unique beauty. It has shades of a rifle culture I am not accustomed to seeing.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
Well, I've been accused of having a twisted sense of beauty but I think it is gorgeous. Things that are the same tend to bore my eye. But, things that are different but still "right" really please my eye. JMHO