Author Topic: TVM Southern "poor boy" rifle kit.  (Read 19826 times)

FRJ

TVM Southern "poor boy" rifle kit.
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:06:06 AM »
I really like "Poor Boys" and this one from TVM seem to be a quality kit. Question is how hard a kit is this to build? Would it be a good choice for a first time kit builder with limited tools? I'm thinking of 58cal R/H flintlock. Any comments would be greatly appreciated even if its just to tell me I'm nuts. Frank

Offline Long Ears

Re: TVM Southern "poor boy" rifle kit.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »
I started with one of their kits. It was the Lancaster. Matt and Toni are great people to deal with and if you run into a question just call them and they will talk you through it. You really need to get the books suggested here on the forum, they really help. I got Peter Alexanders book that is out of print now I believe. The one Chuck Dixon wrote is almost as good. I had never built any type of kit before the Lancaster and the books really helped. I had to read it about 4 times to learn Canadian but it finally made good since. Good Luck, Bob

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Frank,
I think they do a lot of the work for you, everything is inlet and I believe even the lock bolt is drilled.  Call Matt & Toni and ask them any questions you have.  They are pretty good folks to deal with.  They usually go to the Ft. Fredrick Market fair this weekend, so I'd try next week.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Once again, people leap to conclusions without enough information.  There are two TVM's and he hasn't specified which one he is talking about.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

FRJ

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about the TVM initials. I too dislike the use of initials in place of words. In fact I find it offensive. Anyhow the company I'm talking about is Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders and the kit I'm looking at is the southern rifle poor boy. Just to quench my curriousity, what is the other TVM? Again please forgive my ignorance, I'm really new to this facinating segment of firearm history and have a LOT to learn. Frank

JB2

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Tennessee Valley Manufacturing.  More geared towards muzzleloading parts.  No matter which I'm lookng for, I still always go to the wrong TVM first. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »
TVM, [ Muzzleloaders] was owned by Jack Garner, and he sold it to Matt and Toni.  I did a lot of business with Jack over the years. He later was involved with the other TVM until his recent retirement.
They sell components, but also sell a lot of kits. Usually pretty basic.

Offline runastav

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
Hi
I bay my Poor-Boy Tennessee Rifle cal 50 whit 42" barrel from Tennesse Valley Muzzleloading in 2003, and I am very satefide.
Runar

FRJ

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
Runar, thats one good looking rifle. I like simple and functional and while all the engraving and carving etc surely have their place I prefer a working rifle as I'm a hunter and not a collector. Your rifle is exactly what I want. Frank

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:02:16 AM »
Once again, people leap to conclusions without enough information.  There are two TVM's and he hasn't specified which one he is talking about.

Ben a while since Jack has advertised anything though.  Are they even in business anymore??
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:33:20 AM »
Jack's outfit, Tennessee Valley Manufacturing:
http://tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/

Matt's outfit, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading:
http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

:P ::) :P
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
Why don"t we get rid of this poor boy thing, call them what they were "working rifles". Most of the folks back then were poor and they didn't even own a  rifle.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »
Why don"t we get rid of this poor boy thing, call them what they were "working rifles". Most of the folks back then were poor and they didn't even own a  rifle.

Then the assumption might be made that decorated rifles weren't "working rifles" or commonly used.   By the condition in which many remain, this does not appear to be true.  What a plain rifle is is just that and nothing more.  Romanticism causes people to associate other titles.

Ron Brimer

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »
Jim  That has always been one of my peeves, people assume the decorated guns are not " Working Guns " They don't research the time period of the Southern Iron mounted gun. The " Poor Boy" is 1820s into the 1930s In the Southern Mountains . If you go to Southern States ,you will find lots of photos taken in the 1920 to 30s . You would think people would research. They for the most part Blacksmith Guns .  
RON B. Director of Exhibits Ga Dept of  Natl Resources. Museums and Historic Sites .  Retired, and gun builder for 35 years.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:31:51 AM by Ron Brimer »

Offline Glenn

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »
I like to refer to the "working rifles" as "hunters".  I prefer something more subdued as opposed to flashy/shiny when I'm hunting.  This of course is just my personal preference and way of doing things.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »
I also wonder about the assumption that they were "poor".  In terms of possessions and lifestyle they were probably poor relative to our modern lifestyle, but were they so poor in the context of their times?
Mike Lee

FRJ

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
Didn't mean to open a can of worms here. Just wanted to know if anyone had built the  "Southern Poor Boy" rifle that TVM sells. Sorry I asked the question!!! Frank

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
There's no can of worms or concern :)  Just looking for a little debate and conversation.  Is a pleasant diversion from staring at a gun for hours on end.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »

I too dislike the use of initials in place of words. In fact I find it offensive...
Thanks, FRJ. I needed a good laugh today.  ;D

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »
Jim, I love the description (plain rifle) that states it all. Ron the term (blacksmith rifle) in my opinion describes about 80% of the rifles produced in the southern mountains.The other 20% were grand, plain rifles by good builders. I have heard the term (hog rifle) since I was 10 years and am 75 years old now. Since I have seen, owned and studied these blacksmith rifles, I don't think they could be better described, than (blacksmith rifle). Even a poor mountain family could not afford one. The poor boy thing, I just do not like. Thanks All

Offline Glenn

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
Didn't mean to open a can of worms here. Just wanted to know if anyone had built the  "Southern Poor Boy" rifle that TVM sells. Sorry I asked the question!!! Frank

Please ... Not at all ... It was a valid question.  No can of worms here.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:04:22 AM by GRA »
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.